Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   Fixin CD Changer (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/186243-fixin-cd-changer.html)

Shorts 02-03-2004 06:18 PM

Fixin CD Changer

has anyone ever taken their changer in to get fixed? what kinda money does it run (depending on problems of course) to take it to the recommended service center? i can't take this no control over my music thing anymore. i am thinking of just pulling the unit and replacing with a used working same model one because i don't wanna go through the hassel of rewiring the whole shebang again for a new readio or changer. plus i don't really want to spend a lot of money on this. fix it or replace it - which ever is cheaper.

anyway, it'll be easy to replace because all i have to do is pull my console to get to the bracket, then of course unplug the harness there underneath as well.

anyone got a cheap cd walkman??? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

u4ia4 02-03-2004 08:48 PM

Re: Fixin CD Changer

check ebay out. they always have electronics at low prices [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Shorts 02-03-2004 08:51 PM

yeah, i checked it out...only 6 came up in my search and only 1 was guaranteed to work for an opening bid of $50. i'm not really comfortable seeing "unit sold as is. not tested. if it doesn't work you will not get a refund".

c_rock 02-04-2004 04:07 PM

Whatever you do, don't go too cheap and get a Rampage by Audiovox. I spent $79 too much on mine. I can only play CD's on the highway where it is straight and smooth.
It even skips when the truck shifts to 2nd. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Shorts 02-04-2004 05:43 PM

lol

well the one i have does great over bumps and such. it did skip once in a while, but that was if i hit a mean speed bump at 40 mph [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] i was pretty impressed with its shock resistance. but i have no idea what killed it for good. it was working just fine when i pulled up to the house. the next day i got in to take off, and pressed play and nothing... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] i just got an Error code. none of which were listed as "resettable". anyway i had it since christmas '01 and i finally killed it. hmm 2 years....wish it still worked [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

dhcomp 02-04-2004 06:28 PM

You blow it out good with compressed air? I'd also try running one of those lense cleaner deals in it, u know the cd's with the little piece of felt on them?

Shorts 02-04-2004 06:51 PM

ohh, yeah, i gotta grab my cleaner cd and run it through. long shot, but it could work.

blabhern 02-04-2004 07:35 PM

A long long time ago I used to work on that kind of stuff. Back then when CD players were $400.00 it was worth repairing. Now a days, it does not pay to have them repaired. Electronics have gotten so advanced (and small) that it is usually cheaper to replace than to repair. Especially after a couple of years. You repair one component then another goes bad soon after. Believe me, if it's not the same component from the previous repair, the shop will want to charge you the labor again. Get yourself a new one and hope it lasts longer than 2-3 years.

Shorts 02-04-2004 09:31 PM

yeah, it woulda been nice if it hung around a little longer. i just tried the cleaner cd in it, but it wouldn't even read the disc. well, i'm gonna bid on ebay, see if i can find the same model for cheap. should i get it, i'll just pull the unit and stick the other one in and call it good to go. everything is wired in the dash and under the carpet, so i just gotta pull the console and bolt it in.