Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   a couple of questions about my bummer (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/186188-couple-questions-about-my-bummer.html)

kdog 02-02-2004 09:05 PM

a couple of questions about my bummer

I have a 1990 k2500 converted to a Bummer it has a th400 350 and the diffs are geared 3.73. I am running 38.5 inch tires with no lift. This is weird, on the freeway I am crusing at about 2500 to 2900 rpms. Does this make sense? I would think the rpms wouls be different. What are your experiences.

Also my T-case is making noises and I think It will go out sometime. What is the cheapest way to get this unit replaced?Are there remanufatured ones that you guys know of that are cheaper than 825 bucks and if so where should I go to get one? Any other sources new or used? Is the junkyard even worth checking out for a part like that?

Also does any one have any expereince with extreme ofset rims? I was told by one source, not weld them selves that I could get then to custom make me a rim with like 4" or 3.5" of backspacing. Does anyone know if this is true as I have not heard back from weld yet. If there were cheaper options than weld that would be even cooler although I am not planning on that.
Sorry for the long post. Just interested in what everone knows. It seems that there are some hardcores around here. Jason's custom truck is case in point.
Thanks,

Shorts 02-02-2004 09:25 PM

Re: a couple of questions about my bummer

calculate your RPMs..i'm too lazy [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] www.4lo.com

as for the tcase, i just got mine rebuilt for $700. the shift fork was bent and it was jumping all outta gear...then that killed the input gear inside. anyway, you can find a remaned unit 700-900

u4ia4 02-02-2004 10:07 PM

RPMs depemnd on a lot of things like tire size, gear ratio, and tranny/t-case ratios. your trans may not even be getting into the propper highway gear due to the tires being grossly oversized compared to the gear ratio.
as for teh t-case. thats something that you can rebuild if you can get it out of the vehicle. nothing but some gears, a couple of shift forks and a big chain

wrath 02-02-2004 10:25 PM

The rpms are about right, especially if you have a "loose" converter.

You can rebuild the case yourself for a couple hundred. You can buy a used one for a couple hundred.

You usually want to run as much backspacing as you can so you can limit bumpsteer and balljoint wear. Call up your local tire store and see if they have wheels with the offset you want with 14mm holes.