Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   After changing exhaust SES light came on?? (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/186050-after-changing-exhaust-ses-light-came.html)

bowtie_guy 01-31-2004 08:54 PM

After changing exhaust SES light came on??

I just changed my exhaust from the manifolds back using 2.25 inch pipe and installed 2 magnaflow cats. All 4 O2 sensors were re-installed into the new pipe,. After driving approx. 30 KM the SES light has come on.

Anyone have any ideas what might have made this happen??

Thanks!!

MSF 01-31-2004 09:06 PM

Re: After changing exhaust SES light came on??

That seems odd. I went from cat/muffler to a straight pipe and I didn't get the light. But I'm guessing it's just because the computer isn't used to the lessening of the backpressure. Have you unhooked the battery for a while, rehooked it and went driving? Maybe a simple reset? Or you could just check the codes and see what it says.

willyswanter 01-31-2004 09:45 PM

I'm betting you have a bad o2 sensor or 4. When I pulled my system out to work on the truck, put it back in then I had a bad sensor. I was told that all the banging around I did with the pipes and stuff destroys a coil inside of them... I broke 2 of the 4. SES light came on and I checked it with a snap-on scanner and saw the readings were waaaaaay off on two of them.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Yukon97 01-31-2004 10:39 PM

Do what jason said, but also remove the positive terminal on your battery for a half hour. My ses light came on before i installed my new exhaust only because i didn't have an air compressor at home, so i had the dealership where i worked hit the hpipes and then i just tightened them by a wrench to hold tight. THey wiggled loose and thats why my light came on. It went away when i removed the terminal

bowtie_guy 02-08-2004 03:16 PM

Ok well had a shop scan for the codes. I took the codes and it came up as a bank 1 sensor 1 not switching.

Went and bought a new sensor. Changed it and then about 15 km later the light went out.

All is good once again.

Thanks.

Now there is only 1 o2 sensor original on my truck.