How big can I go? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 11:20 PM
IchWarrior

How big can I go?

I have a GMC K1500 1992 Pickup and Im looking to throw a small lift on it and some bigger tires. Im looking to get 285/75/16's on it. Will a 2-3" body lift do the trick?

I was also contemplating 265's with or without a body lift. I have been haggling to the prices, and a body lift and tires is about all I can swing, suspension lifts with the costs of shocks put it out of my reach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 11:54 PM

Re: How big can I go?

With STOCK rims, those tires will fit stock, no mods. Maybe a LITTLE fender trimming, but shouldn't take hardly any. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

With a 3" body, you can fit 35's if you want to trim a good deal. Or you could run wider 33's or 33's on a rim with different backspacing than stock.

If i were you, i'd get 285's on stock rims, and save for a suspension lift ( 4" or 6"). Body lifts are pretty lame......

Good Luck!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 12:00 AM
IchWarrior

I could actually fit 285's with stock rims, no lift?

Holy [bleep], thats a tight sqeeze.

Perhaps a 2 inch suspension lift would help out?

4 inch gets into the 1 grand money, and Im too busy buying guns to save up that kind of money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 07:55 AM

yeah, 285s will fir on a stock set up even when you flex the suspension, let me see if ican find a pic of min like that. this is before i went to the coopers, but it was still a 285/75/16

now thats about 1/2 inch off of the bump stops on that side, i could not get those tires to rub, front or rear no matter what i did
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1255270-closestuff.jpg (65.4 KB, 2 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 08:17 AM

Peacock, you couldn't get them to rub? That suprises me. It looks like you're just really loaded down in that pic. I flexed my truck up and rubbed the inner fender at no where near full compression. Ive got 265/75-17's on teh avalanche 17x7.5" rims, maybe that 1/2 inch of rim made the difference.

Anyways, if the rub or not, they fit. And a little trimming will always fix a little rub!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 08:20 AM

There really aren't any 2" suspension lifts, there are a bunch of 3"er's but some REALLY suck, and the ones that don't are expensive. I would just get the 285's stock though. They look pretty sweet, and you don't have any of the maintenence issues or higher COG that you have when you lift your truck.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 10:01 AM
IchWarrior

Alright, thanks a bunch. Ive been chasing down an answer to my tire problems for a month now. Ill be picking me up some 285 Firestone Destinations in the future.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 11:11 AM

Click my link and look in the 2dr tahoe section. I had 285's on stock suspension with minor fender trimming. There are some pictures that have the trimming in there. I currently have a 2.5" add-a-leaf in the rear and a 1" tbar crank. I am stepping up to 295x75x16 which is the equil. to 33.5"... I am buying a dick cepek lift sometime this year and will be strapping on 35's along with 4.56 gearing, but the gears and 35's wont be for a long time
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 11:15 AM

Firestone destinations? If you are gonna put 285's, id at least get a real all terrain. Even the Bridgestone Dueler At's ive got look pretty wussy, but i woulnd't go more highway biased.......
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 01:40 PM
IchWarrior

Destination M/T's

not the A/T's

Sorry about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode