Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   It got hard (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/185897-got-hard.html)

Shorts 01-29-2004 04:41 PM

It got hard

ok gutterheads, my brake pedal got hard when I pressed on it with the truck off. plus, the pedal was getting really stiff if i kept pumping it on the road (yes, I'm still driving it. i got no choice right now. flame away)

so, that sound like a power booster? and that's a big PITA to replace, isnt it? anyone done this?

dhcomp 01-29-2004 05:00 PM

Re: It got hard

Is it still hard when the truck is on? Its always hard when the truck is off.....or should be.....

Anyways, no insight into replacing it, we had teh Stealer do it on the burb. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Shorts 01-29-2004 06:48 PM

it gets hard if i pump the brakes, on and off.

willyswanter 01-29-2004 06:48 PM

Shouldn't be any harder than my hydroboost unit. Took me all of 20 minutes to replace. 4 bolts on the firewall, linkage to pedal, and the vacuum hose and master cylinder and thats it.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Shorts 01-29-2004 06:50 PM

was there any fluids involved in this? i mean, will i need to open up the fluid system and need to bleed once the PB is replaced?

Krayzie 01-29-2004 07:30 PM

Well, no. If you can unbolt your master cylinder and move it far enough out of the way of the booster to move it, then your good to go without a hitch. I was able to change one out in my 88 without opening the hydraulics up. Hopefully yours goes just as easy. Well, just for giggles, here is the exploded view of the system for you. If you want the part numbers let me know! Luck!

http://home.comcast.net/~krayziepop/Booster.jpg

Shorts 01-29-2004 08:09 PM

you rock krayzie [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

as for taking the pedal off, am i going to have to realign anything or adjust linkages to set the proper specs of some sort?

TxFireman 01-29-2004 08:31 PM

Shorts,

Start the truck and put it in gear... sit there with your foot on the brake and let it idle (still in gear) if the engine starts to run rough or tries to stall it's a sure thing the boosters going bad. It's at least worth a check before replacing the booster anyway.

The brakes seemed to have a very short delay when mine was bad. When I pushed the pedal it was like they didn't responde right away.. just a fraction of a second, but it was there. They also made a sort of "airy" sound... don't really know how to describe it.... anyway.. good luck.

Shorts 01-29-2004 08:37 PM

i'll check that out for sure in the morning. but i did notice the hesitation this morning as i shifted to pull out of the driveway.

when i press on the brake pedal to slow down, its like there's this free coast and then then truck starts to decelerate.

blabhern 01-30-2004 05:40 AM

Shorts, You may have some fluid in between the booster and the MC. If so your MC is leaking back into the booster. That would be another issue to watch for. I had that happen on an old vehicle I used to own. Had to replace the MC.

Good luck