3/4 Ton 4x4 Duramax Questions.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

3/4 Ton 4x4 Duramax Questions..

Were lookin to get a new chevy pretty soon. We wanna get the 3/4 ton HD Duramax Crew Cab Chevy.. I was wondering What tires can fit under it stock? With stock Rims? What about with a 3" Body lift.. I was hopin to be able to put 33's under it with the body lift. Whats the Best Suspension lift out there for maybe a 4in lift? Is there anything I should know about these new chevys and off-roading. How good do they hold up with Bigger Tires on them? Are there any side effects with the new IFS trucks and new IFS Lifts? I was always told it messes up your geometry... Any comments on the new HD Chevy/GMC's is appreciated... [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 03:27 PM

Re: 3/4 Ton 4x4 Duramax Questions..

if you do elect to go the route of a body lift to fit bigger tires, pelase make sure that you support the bed braces. these add a significant amount of strength to the bed and without them the bed can collapse. also, bear in mind that you havea a heavy duty truck with a high GVWR. you will need some pretty well rated tires to match that rating. and that means a bigger price tag. just some stuff to ponder
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 07:30 PM

Peacock is right, but you can fit 285/75 16's (33's or VERY close) under there stock. Some guys put the stock wheels/tires from h2's without major mods....

In terms of wheeling, the IFS isn't the greatest, but teh 3/4ton hd is the way to go, a lot stronger than the 1/2 ton stuff. Not sure who makes lifts for those trucks, but i'd go wtih a 4" and 35's if you want to lift it. Skip teh body lift.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 08:00 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Body lifts do suck.. Plus you lose your bed payload...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 08:00 PM

Body lifts do suck.. Plus you lose your bed payload...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 09:46 PM

you dont lose any payload if you brace the bed supports with an appropriate material. but the suck factor is still there
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

The only thing I would be leary of is messing up my suspension parts, steering and geometry or are the lifts pretty good now a days? Also the cost factor is alot more. Anyways what are bed supports for body lifts, where do they go and how much are they? Do suspension lifts affect warranty? Also does anyone know what chevys plans are for the future and the silverado by looks or a newer truck in 05 or are they changinh anything on the diesel for 05 where as I should wait.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 10:36 PM

I want to say there are ways to get a lift without voiding the warranty, but check with ur dealer.

As for bed supports, you just have to support the space between teh bed and frame anywhere the bed used to touch the frame before the body lift. But i would brace more to be safe. Just get some square tubing the size of the body lift and put it between teh bed floor and frame, and weld it on.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 11:41 PM

Here's my Duramax 2500HD, ,,,,,,,,I put on MT/R 315/75/16's (measured height is 32.5) on the stock wheels. These tire are a bit wide for 6.5 wide rims but it works, I'l be swapping to 8" wide when I get around to it. The suspension is stock other then I turn up the torsion bars 4 1/2 turns, which is a little less then 1.5" lift. This is just enough to get the front and back level. It's not enough to screw up the CV's and I didn't notice any change in suspension stiffness, it still rides very nice. You do need to have it realigned after readjusting the torsion bars. With this tire size, you also need to trim a small 1/2" corner of body on the inside fenderwell at the rocker. This can not even be seen. The front plastic, under the front bumper also needs to be trimed,,,,,,,,I just removed the whole thing,,,,I think it looks better without it.

This is basically my tow rig and not much offroad use (yet). I have a HP D60 that will be swapped in after a little more of the warranty used up.

[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1253476-gmc.jpg (75.1 KB, 4 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 01:48 AM

Nice rig!
As of January the Duramax's now pump out 590lbs of torque as opposed to the old ones which did 520lbs of torque... The next body style will be in 2006 or so... But from the cheyanne concepts I've seen I'd stay away and go with the current ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode