Some updated pics of the 89 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Some updated pics of the 89

I finally got some pics of my 89, rolling on all fours for the first time in almost 2 years. For 12" springs, it actually rides ok. But then again I took the two bottom springs out. They flex ok I guess, don't really need a vehicle around that flexes like crazy. It works for what I want it to. One thing that I didn't like about the flexing, the tires are only 36 or so high, and they rubbed on fenders. I want to get 40 boggers for the rear, and swampers for the front. I think they will rub ALOT more than with these things. I might have to put one of the lower springs in, maybe that will stiffen it slightly but bring it up in the front. I need to find a fricken open carrier for the rear so I can put the detroit and 4:56s in, and then do the front. Can't imagine this with all four spinning, not just one on either side. Go to the link below for the updated pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 08:46 PM
bowtie_guy

Re: Some updated pics of the 89

Good pics. Thing looks mean!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 10:10 PM

Time to hack the fenders! Those bushwacker cutouts Jason has are really growing on me, you should get some!

Anyways, looking good, it will be so awesome once teh 97 is done for you to have 2 SAS Chevy's. Good work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 11:20 PM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

36? Those look like 38s, but what do I know? Anyway, that thing is huge! It looks like the body/frame are "floating" above the axles. Good work. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking of getting the cut outs, but then again thinking, I have 12" of lift, and the tires only measure about 36.5", I should have plenty of room. Who knows, it works for now. I could always put one leave in the front, that might give it some height, but will probly stiffen it back to the way it was before I took the springs out. It's not going anywhere or be on the road anytime soon, so I have time to mess with. If it ever gets any friggin warmer. The rear is starting to settle, which is not good. I built the springs up more than I wanted, rear Procraps are really soft. I could pull the body down 4-5" just with my body weight, and I only weigh 170. And I don't want to run blocks. I made a list of what I used and about what it cost to do it, incase anyway is interested.

1989 GMC 1 ton TBI 454-$50 (I sold the trans/t-case for $500)
GM Dana 60 initial cost-$500
Completely rebuilting it-close to $2000 (only need carrier bearings, then it will be 100% rebuilt)
Spool and Detroit-free!! (traded set of Welds)
Dana 60 4:56 gears-$60
Milemarker lockouts-$100 (they had one premium and one regular, only diff is the dial)
14ff out of 92 3/4t 2wd-$230 (I think, been awhile)
14ff 4:56 gears-minus $240 (guy actually gave me $325 for a Govlok, and paid $85 for the whole axle, which I gave back)
ORU SAS kit, 32.5" pad width-$750
Superlift 12" springs-think they were $250
Rear Procrap 6" springs-$250
3" steering block-$80
ORU crossover arm-$190 (must be they just came out with them, cause now there only $100
Steering stuff, besides D60 block and arm-about $100
40/17/16.5-$500
Two 16.5/12 rockcrawlers-$220
Two 16.5/9.75 rusty spokes-free
2 Divorced Dodge 205 transfer cases-$170 (I grenaded one smashing it on the ground)
3 1350 32 spline yokes-$25 and one for free
73-87 4wd front hangers for rear springs-free
Homemade shackle flip using the stock front hangers and Belltech shackle-$55
3 1350 driveshafts/ujoints-about $100 (tubes I got for free)
Stainless brakes lines/fittings-$75

I think that it's, if I forgot anything, it was minor stuff. Still need trivial stuff, but one major thing is a [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] 4:56 14 bolt open carrier!!! All this took me about two years to do. The main reason is lack of funds, time, and too damn cold to go outside, or it would have gotten this far a long time ago. Hopefully I will have the bugs worked out and some of the drivline taken care of so I can take it to Paragon in the spring. Inless your truck is a d/d and can't afford to be down long, there is no reason why anybody can't do this. I got connections in the junkyard business, and other areas as well, that saves alot on parts. I did the SAS itself in a storage unit in CO, wish I took pictures getting it out, the door was only 6.5' I think, and barely cleared. Everything else was out in the driveway. Won't even come close to fitting in the garage.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 08:40 PM
TONAWANDA454

What tranny are you running? Because I have a 72 Dodge I was thinking of trying to use the axle and divorced 205 t-case. If I decide to try and use it how do I go about hooking up the tcase to the my tranny. Right now I have a 4l80e, but its on its last leg. I was thinking of putting in a th400, or could I get the 727 torque flight out of the dodge to work. I believe the dodge axle will work it looks like the older chevy axles with the diff on the passenger side. Its an 8 lug dana44.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

What vehicle is this going in? If it's a GM, then the 727 won't bolt up without an adaptor. The TH400 is a stronger tranny anyways. 2wd and 4wd trans are the same, just need the tail housing off the 2wd. I used a 2wd TH400 out of a dumptruck. Any 400 will work, car or truck. The Dodge 205 uses some tiny ujoints. I upgraded to 1350 ujoints on all inputs/outputs. The 1350s are pretty easy to find. Look for a 3/4 or 1 ton 4wd, with a 203 or 205 t-case, and take the rear yoke. I don't know if Fords use a 1350, but would assume they do. I never checked so I can't confirm what they use. As for the driveshaft, use any that has a 1350 ujoint. The one that I have had a bolt on yoke, but if you remove that a regular slip yoke will go on.You won't have alot of travel in it, but you don't need it, the stubshaft won't move any. It's just to get the shaft in/out of the trans. You could use the front axle out of the Dodge, might want to check on what ujoints it uses, I think the older ones used a smaller joint.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 08:17 PM
TONAWANDA454

My truck is a 91 Chevy 3/4ton with a 454. My dodge is a 72 3/4ton. I have a buddy that will sell me a th400 thats freshly rebuilt for $500. He had it in an 89 4x4. I have a ff 14bolt axle in the Chevy, I was wanting to get a dana 60 for the the front but lack of funds keeps me from buying one. Both of my trucks are 8 lug and 4.10 gears so even though the dodge axle is a dana 44 I would like to try and use it to save some cash. Down the road I could always look for a dana 60. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode