'99 Tahoe Stereo Install - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Fly_Guy

\'99 Tahoe Stereo Install

The box from Cruthfield got here today, so now I'm trying to get everything together to do the install this weekend. I'm not as handy and knowlegable as Shorts, so I'm trying to get as many hints and see as many pics as possible before I start.

I'm putting in a new receiver, the external tuning box for Sirius, new speakers both in the doors and rear area, as well as running the cable for the Sirius antennae. I'm planning on putting the box under the center console. As far as the antennae, I'm going to try to run the cable to the top brakelight, and then mount it on the roof. I've found some great tutorials and pics of removing the dash, but I've come up short on running the cable to the brakelight. And the Haynes and Chilton manuals don't have a lot either. I'm also replacing both power mirrors while I have the door panels off, I cracked one mirror last week, and since they're both in rough shape, I just bought a new set off Ebay.

So if anybody has any advice or knows any good sites, I'd really appreciate it. I'll post pics of both in progress and when finished if anybody is interested. Thanks,

Fly Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 06:24 PM
bggrnchvy

Re: \'99 Tahoe Stereo Install

For the reciever do go buy the adaptor for the gm harness to the universal harness. It makes life soooooo much easier. I just replaced mine last week. What a difference from that stock POS. Good luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 07:51 PM

I'm almost postive crutch sends that adapter. That is definitely the way to go. Crutch's prices aren't great, but they give you all you need, and support their sales with tech support.

As far as running the cable, it depends on how much of the interior you feel like taking apart, how much cable you have, and if anything interferes with the signal. I don't really know what would interfere with that signal, but i know you want to stay away from power wires and motors with normal antenna cables, so you might want to research that.

I think the easiest way to run it is to remove the kick panel, run it through the dash and down through the kickpanel area on the pasenger side (there just seems to be less wiring on teh pside). Then remove the door sill plate, and run it under the edge of the carpet to the door pilar. I forget if you have the 2 door or 4 door, so if you have a 2 door, skip the next step. stuff the wire under the pilar trim panel, remove the back door sill plate, and continue tucking under carpet. When you get that far, just keep taking off trim panels or stuffing wire. Haven't gone that far before! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

From what i've taken apart in the rear of my truck (putting in speakers), there is a lot of reinforcement (metal subframe type things) under the roof above the headliner. So getting to the 3rd brakelight may be hard from the inside. You have to pull the headliner down a little, so here goes the instructions for that:

Remove whatever handles/hooks are mounted to the roof in the rear (not sure whats on a tahoe). Next, remove the sill plate on the bottom. Then remove the 2 pieces of the side plastic trim from each side. After those are removed, the top sill plate just pops out if i remember correctly. Then i'd remove the brakelight from the roof and see if you can see through. I really feel that its not that big of a deal to just drill the hole in the roof where ever you want the antenna; you're going to have to modify the roof even if you run the cable through the brake light hole if you want it all to go back together flush.

Whoa, sorry for teh long post, i had a lot of info to give, feel free to pm me, IM me, or whatever if you want me to talk it over with you. Shoot me a pm if you want my sn or phone #.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 07:52 PM

Heh, and fill out your profile! [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 08:51 PM
Lnedermeyer

good move goin with crutchfield. prices are about the same, but they include all the wiring harnesses and mounting brackets for your new head unit. not to mention a filler piece that goes around the face, for a clean look. they also include the wiring harnesses for the speakers, so all you have to do is unclip the old ones, and pop in the new ones.

i haven't installed the sirus equipment yet, so can't help you there, but depending on how much wire you have and if you want to drill a hole in your hoe, you could run the wire under the car, then drill a hole, if possible behind the rear pillar, to conceal the wire. if you do, don't forget to put a rubber grommet in the hole so you don't fray the wire on the metal. i installed my amp under my rear seat in my truck and it was easier to go under the truck, rather then through the firewall, under seats, carpet, etc. since you have a tahoe, you might want to see exactly what pieces inside can be removed easily and quickly to allow you to run your wire to the back. Thats a lot of plastic and some carpet that needs to be removed in order to get from the center console to the back of the hoe.

anyway goodluck and don't get frustrated, it makes the project that much harder. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode