torsion bar ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 04:01 PM
bggrnchvy

torsion bar ?

I heard of a device a while ago that enabled a lifted IFS chevy to leave the torsion bar crossmember in its stock location. It worked by replacing the torsion bars i think. Does anyone know oif this product, have any info on it or kno if it is of good quality. I have been bashing my crossmember and it the spacers are starting to get deformed. PLEASE HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 04:34 PM

Re: torsion bar ?

You are thinking of a torsion bar key. They aren't worth it as you still have to crank your tbars up and have bad cv angles and what not.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 04:41 PM

those piece of crap "real lift" things??? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] ehhh, i wouldn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 04:41 PM
bggrnchvy

No not keys, they are like spaced torsion bars. They dont need 2 b cranked. Their is a flat oval metal peice that lowers the 2nd half of the torsion bar it self. It works with a lowered 4 or 6 inch sub frame.

The torsion bar themselves look kinda like a Z
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 06:20 PM
bggrnchvy

Yea i found them, they really do look to be a waste of money. My new thought is to replace the spacers for my torsion bar crossmember with solid blocks of aluminum (currently they are box tubing that is moving from box shape to daimond shape). Does that sound like a good idea?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 07:41 PM

Your new spacer idea is the best. A while ago people talked about those relocater deals, and it made a lot of people nervous because instead of twisting the t-bar along the center axis, it sorta twisted it side to side, if that makes sense. So i'd just replace your spacers and build a skid plate on the bottom of the crossmember. good luck!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:47 PM
bggrnchvy

Ok, then the spacers are my plan. Do you have any idea where i should look for some solid aluminum blocks? And i understand the whole need for a skidplate, but if i add one it will lower my ground clearance even more (that would suck) any idea how to go about doing this without the negative part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode