electric fan - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 01:18 AM
wuntrakmin

electric fan

Does anyone know what are the pros and cons when installing a electric fan? I plan on instaling a performance waterpump and was wondering if an electric fan would be a good choice. I have a 94 suburban if it makes a diffrence. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 01:42 AM

Re: electric fan

You are supposed to save some horse power with not using the engine driven fan. You can set it up to turn on and off when needed. With some of the double fan units you can move some serious air. This is good for towing or you can have it stay on for a little after you have turned off the vehicle.
The fans are really expensive and you have to make sure that you have an alternator that will handle the draw. Wrath and some others have the fans, it may help to PM them.
Michael
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:26 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, no engine drag when they're off. They aren't on unless they need to be. You can turn them on and off at will. A significantly better throttle response compared to a high-volume clutch fan. No load on your waterpump.

Downsides:
At extremely high speeds they actually impair airflow. You'll notice such at speeds in excess of 100mph. They are inefficient compared to a mechanical fan. IE: they actually rob more horsepower when they're on. The horsepower is lost to the alternator.

There are two things that I'll probably do to every single one of my vehicles: rear wheel disc brakes and electric fans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 01:04 AM
wuntrakmin

I look at some fans in the summit catolog. I'm not sure which one to pick. I just want it to come when it reaches normal temperature. I plan on buying a higher amp alt to cover the draw from the fan. Thanks for your help.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 01:02 AM
Muncie

I built a dual fan setup for mine using two 12" fan I got out fo a 96 camaro and a painless relay kit run to a switch to turn on and off when I want. was alot cheaper than any of the kits you can buy for these trucks, cost me 40 for the fans, 60 for the relay kit and about 30 for misc stuff. they mount on a peice of 11 guage steel I bent to mount to the stock holes and drilled for more airflow at higher speeds. they only draw 6 amps each while running, but they have a start up peak of 20 amps each.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 03:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ive got ona prmacool fan on my rig, im also running a newer styl radiator out of suburban widest one in chevy trucks.

i have my fan mounted to toggle switch on dash along with a relay on the firewall.

this time of year the fan is used acasionaly offroad, never in town or on the interstate, went on 500 mile trip last weekend pulling 6% grades and never used the fan.

offroad driveing slow or workn the engine then the fans on.

power.
notices no increas over haveing a clutch fan.

its convient and looks cool pluss the belt is easier to change with no fan in the way. the onlything i can see being a advantage might be longer waterpump life.

even in the summer its rarley used and hardly ever on interstate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode