Help. '03 Yukon XL lift pulling trailer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 12:29 AM
yukonbos

Help. \'03 Yukon XL lift pulling trailer

WOuld like some help with what setup would be best. I have an 2003 Yukon XL 4wd with autotrac. Engine is a 5.3 with standard 3.73 gearing, 1/2 ton. I want to get a lift possibly a 6" if I could with 35" tires. Problem is I have a toy hauler which is 7,800 gvwr. AS it stands I run up hills around 4k on the tack in second at 55-60mph with the toy hauler. I would like to ease up the hill without struggling but would also like to get the lift. Any setup suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:07 PM
TONAWANDA454

Re: Help. \'03 Yukon XL lift pulling trailer

If you are going to be running 35" tires and towing I would be putting some different gears in those axles. Probably 4.56s would be good. If you don't change the gears you will need to run 2nd and drive, and never O/D or you will be wearing out that tranny.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:43 PM
Can't Get Enough

that coil spring rear end probably wont be very stable with a 6" lift and towing almost 8000lbs. might want to look into a 3/4 ton XL instead. It uses leaf springs and you can get an 8.1L, not that dinky 5.3L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:50 PM

Yeah, i second the 3/4 ton. The 5.7l 1/2 tons of the 90's weren't the best for a trailer of that weight, and the 5.3 just lacks the low end to get the job done right. It loves to rev, and feels quick when unloaded, but that changes quickly when you add weight. Plus, the your lift options for a leaf sprung rear are a lot easier.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:04 AM
yukonbos

Thanks for the recommendation for the 3/4 ton. But since I actually purchased the 1/2 ton already I am looking for whether this is a good idea or bad idea to lift the truck and any suggestions on how to set it up.. Thanks agaion in advance.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:21 AM

Don't lift it. Spinning larger tires is just going to work the motor more. And its gutless to begin with. Look into exhaust, and see what other stuff you could do to free up some power. Anyone super charge these things?

And get the largest tranny cooler you can buy to try and prolong the life of that 1/2 ton tranny.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode