3 inch suspension lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 11:38 PM
kickinz71

3 inch suspension lift

this is probably already an old question...
i am lifting my '97 chevy z71 6inches, with a 3 inch body lift, and 3 inch suspension lift, if it wont be too hard on my tranny, joint angles, etc. Which kind of 3 inch suspension lift is the best product for the money???? thanks [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 12:50 AM

Re: 3 inch suspension lift

3" suspension lifts aren't recommended because they require torsion bar cranking. I would save money for a little longer and get a 4" suspension lift or, for slightly more, get the 6" all from suspension lift. I imagine most everyone else will recommend this, too.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 08:05 AM

Get a 4" rancho, trim a little or put a 1 or 2 in body lift on top of that, and put 35's on. Or my personal favorite, get the 6.5" cepek kit and put 35's on. Most of the kits under 4 inches aren't that great, and after you lift it, you'll want more. 35's are the largest tire you can really put on IFS without it dying on you, so 6.5" is about as big as people realistically go.
There was just recently a post about good prices on the cepek kit, look around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 01:46 PM
kickinz71

i agree on how nice the 4 inch suspension lifts are, but they are at least $1,100 at places i've found them, and usually require a dealer or shop to install. for roughly $500, a 3 inch susp. lift combined with a 3 inch body lift seems like a no-brainer and 1/2 the price, unless it kills the truck or breaks (mainly because of the $ issue and self-installation)???
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 02:02 PM

You do NOT want a 3" Suspension lift, the whole idea of the lift is to drop things down and restore all the suspension and steering geometry back, or close to factory settings. The 3" lifts require you to crank you the torsion barsto get a good part of the lift. The 4" and 6" systems all use drop brackets and such to drop everything so there is very little, if any torsion bar cranking needed. The torsion cranking is what puts everything into extreme angles, such as CVs. This also puts alot of stress on all of the ball joints and such. If I missed something, anybody feel fre to chime in.

General consensus= <font color="red"> BAD IDEA </font color>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 03:07 PM

A wise man once said, cheaper is not better.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 03:32 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Guess what, I'm all alone on this, but I've got a 2-3" (Rough Country) suspension lift, of which I used 2". It works fine, no problems, and with a 3" body lift (total of 5 inches) you can fit 35"s. Good luck.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 03:02 PM
kickinz71

mike (MSF) i have a friend with a 3 inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift also, he hasnt experienced anything with the front end breaking things, it only has a stiff ride now. how long have you have your 5inch lift setup? do you have any pics of your ride so i could see how it looks??? thanks
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 05:45 PM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Right now I only have the 2" of suspension lift. I'm going to put a body lift on it in a few months and slap on some 35"s since I know they'll fit. When I do put the body lift on it I'll send a pic your way. And you're not kidding about the rough ride either, but hey, it's a truck. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 09:25 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
You do NOT want a 3" Suspension lift, the whole idea of the lift is to drop things down and restore all the suspension and steering geometry back, or close to factory settings. The 3" lifts require you to crank you the torsion barsto get a good part of the lift. The 4" and 6" systems all use drop brackets and such to drop everything so there is very little, if any torsion bar cranking needed. The torsion cranking is what puts everything into extreme angles, such as CVs. This also puts alot of stress on all of the ball joints and such. If I missed something, anybody feel fre to chime in.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why people keep saying this. I have looked at four or five 3" suspension lift kits, and they ALL had diff drop brackets, so even though the torsion bars are cranked, the CV angles remain the same. And, they all included new upper control arms to relieve ball joint stress...so why does everybody keep slamming these kits with these arguments??? Help me understand...

Steve

P.S. the kits I have looked at are for Tahoes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode