Dual Exhaust Question? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Dual Exhaust Question?

A friend of mine has a 2000 Chevy 4x4, 4.8 liter(283?), 5 spd. tranny. He was wondering about changing the factory exhaust setup (2 into 1 converters & pipes), to a true dual setup. He was wondering what pipe diameter and mufflers would be best to use behind the caty. converters. He stopped by several exhaust shops, and some told him duals would be the best, but a few shops said it would be better to stay with a 2 into 1 setup but go to a larger diameter pipe. He asked me to make a post to the Pro's on this side of the BBS. I'll leave it to ya'll to give us some advice and opinions. Thanks in advance. Oh, and also what gains or losses in performance with a dual setup?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 05:06 PM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Re: Dual Exhaust Question?

I prefer 2 into 1, or in my case: Y-pipe from manifolds to a single 3" all the way to the rear axle. Sounds mean with all that exhaust coming from 1 pipe. But duals on the other hand have a nice harmonic sound. Couldn't tell you if one makes more torque than another, but I know a lot of guys will run cats w/o mufflers. I used to and it sounded pretty good.

[img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 01:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The new vortecs dont sound good with striaght pipes. And you wount have enough backpressure and you will loss some low end torque. I would for sure put a muffler of some kind on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 01:58 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

I ran 2 trucks (4.3 and 5.7) with just a cat/no muffler and both had plenty of torque. I will admit though that now with just a straight pipe I did lose a little low end, but not enough to justify putting a muffler on there, the engine runs cooler now and it sounds nasty! (and by nasty I mean good!)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 12:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

We I was talking about the 2000 up vortecs. You could have to have a cat becasue there are oxygen sensors past the cat and if you remove them then the computer will be showing codes. You could keep the cat and then run pipe but thats as open as you could go.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 03:14 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well on my 97 with a 350, its open after the cats. It's got two cats, so 4 oxygen sensors. so I'm running a true dual exhaust. I think I might have a little bit of powerloss on the low end, but after 2500rpms she screams... seriously scared me the other day when I got up on it lol
I wouldn't mind putting mufflers on to get alittle bit more low end though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode