Brake switch replacement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Brake switch replacement

Can anyone tell me how in the world to you replace the brake switch in a 95 HOE. I have found the box (thanks to previous post) and was able to get my hand on it and get teh rear clip off. There is a another clip that I cannot get off that the switch seems to rotate on. How do I get that clip off with out cutting my hands anymore than they are???

SERVORD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 12:23 PM

Re: Brake switch replacement

eeeek...that thing is hazardous to change out. its been a while since i replaced mine, all i recall is the one clip on there....but like i said, its been a couple years since i've looked at that. sorry i couldnt help ya much [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

You are exactly right. There is one clip and it is a PITA to get off. Do you remember how you got it off??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 08:41 PM

i did it on mine when i first bought it from sparty. the brake lights didnt work and the fuse was fine (turned out to be a different fuse) so i replaced the brake switch. that little clip came off easily enough with a leatheran. i forget which tool i used though, prolly the very slender "screwdriver" that looks more like a punch.
getting it back on is the challenging part. you have to lift the tab up before it'll slide on. i used a loop of string to accomplish this. i have to get going cuz the g/f made dinner and i"ll be on the [bleep] list if I'm late, but, i can check tomorrow and look at it up close and see if ican remember what i did.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

I got it done. After cutting my right hand up (chevy really needs to use blunted scrwes) I got the swtich replaced. The lights and ABS are working perfectly now. Thanks for the replies.

SERVORD
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:26 AM

My brkae lights stay on all the time. To turn them off I have to pull up on the pedal. Is the problem the brake switch? I'm not sure where it is but know that I want to replace it because it is driving me nuts.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

I am not sure how that works out for you but I can tell you that after replacing the switch if you breath too hard on the brake pedal the lights will come on. I am not sure if that is the way is should be. The switch has two attachments to the brake pedal. The part of the switch that is closest to the driver has a hole, that a pin attached to something under there, goes through. Then you have to place a clip on the end of the pin after you have the switch on there. There is a also a small clip that goes over the brake pedal. This clip is a pressure fit and I found it really easy to slide the clip off of the pedal. That may be your problem, in that, the clip may have just worked its way loose. When you check it out make sure to have some bandages handy. You may be needing one as there are a few pointed screws under there.

SERVORD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode