rancho 3" suspention kit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 01:22 AM
taqwache

rancho 3\" suspention kit

i was wondering if anyone has one of these and what parts it comes with. if i am correct, it comes with upper control arms, lower control arm drop brackets and shocks. susposably i will be able to crank the torsion bars all the way up with out topping out the suspention and get the alingment straight again. all i really want is a bit more articulation in the front without haveing to spend over $1000. i only have 33s so tire clearence will not be a problem. also does this kit acually give a full 3". please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 08:57 AM

Re: rancho 3\" suspention kit

The kit is junk.. A while back, a guy on here had it. It ruined everything up front. And cranking your torsion bars all the way up is a horrible idea. If you want a 3" lift, try the skyjacker but even that will ruin components. The best bet for a 3" lift is body lift. Go the full 4" suspension or get the body lift. Don't get those junk 3" suspension lifts, they are worthless
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 11:51 AM

I could be wrong, but my understanding is these kits are intended to make it so you get a lift without having to crank the t-bars, and maintain stock CV and alignment angles by dropping the diff and control arms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 01:34 PM

Skyjacker and Superlift also have 2"-3" lifts, anybody have any feedback on those (thinking about a 2 door Tahoe here)?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 05:18 PM

these kits require you to crank the tbars.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 05:34 PM

Yeah, I guess you are right, you have to crank to raise the ride height, but with the new control arms and diff drop the suspension and CV joint angles end up the same...in theory anyway.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 05:38 PM

No IFS kit is going to increase articulation... Your spring rates and wheel travel remain the same.

And, the 2-3 kits do not drop the diff, this is the reason the cv angles are bad and you have to crank the bars.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 10:08 PM
somudo

i have right now on my 88 1500 and its not that bad. i have plenty of room without cranking my t-bars. the ride is still pretty good. but he is right just for a 3" lift i'd go with a body lift.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 04:22 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

I have this kit. It has longer upper arms and brake hoses, along with diff drop brackets, all 4 shocks and leafs. Not a bad kit for the $.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:03 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
No IFS kit is going to increase articulation... Your spring rates and wheel travel remain the same.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree, but I don't think anybody said articulation would be increased, I just said stock angles would be maintained on control arms and CV joints.

And, the 2-3 kits do not drop the diff, this is the reason the cv angles are bad and you have to crank the bars.

[/ QUOTE ]
Certainly some of the 2"-3" kits do have diff drop brackets, for example Skyjacker, Rough Country, and Superlift all mention them in their descriptions.

And in any case I don't think the position of the diff has anything to do with whether you crank the torsion bars or not.

Interestingly on this topic, here is a quote from a Skyjacker 2.5" kit description:

Skyjacker's 2.5" lifts retain factory torsion bars and include longer control arms and new differential brackets to relieve wear and tear on the upper ball joints. This increases front wheel travel to allow for 285/75R/16 tires.

[/ QUOTE ]
Note they say it "increases front wheel travel", which I don't think is true to any significant degree, I think the reason you can run bigger tires is because it just gets the wheel wells up and out of the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode