There's snow - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

There\'s snow

what the heck???? ok dudes, i'm in WA and unusual snow storms are blowing around the last couple days. now i'm wondering, how do i drive in this stuff with my truck? what kinda tires?

it doesn't normally snows here, from what i understand, but it rains alot. i'm just trying to get ready for living up here. i did drive a little bit the other day test driving that tahoe. it had autotrac, which i thought worked pretty well....of course, that's coming from a ropokie zamboni driver [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

ok...i'm bored...here alone, stuck inside and had coffee....i did all the laundry yesterday, cleaned the place up, dishes are done.....dang, i'm going crazy!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 11:33 AM

Re: There\'s snow

<font face="comic Sans MS">Tall and narrow tires are typically better on snow and ice... Most people seem to prefer A/T style tires on snow, but I must say I'm still quite happy with the 'ol Cooper STT's on the snow/ice... Probably have to be paying a hair more attention than you might with other tires but when driving on a slippery surface IMO, you should be paying close attention anyhow...

Driving on it, pretty much just remember only do one of these three things at a time:<ul>[*]Accelerating[*]Braking[*]Turning[/list]
Also, if you have trouble stopping, you should throw the transmission into neutral... I know some on here will say it's better to have engine braking help slow you down, and in a non panic stop type situation yes, it's not a bad thing to have, but when you absolutely have to stop, in my personal experience (or maybe just all the vehicles I have go against the grain in that respect) but you definitely want it in neutral... Basically practice driving in a snowy parking lot, controlling slides, braking, etc... If you can make controlling it a reflex rather than something you make a conscious thought about, you'll be much better off... Of course I don't know what the WA laws against practicing in snowy parking lots are... Might not be worth it from a legal penalty standpoint...</font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Addict

As for the legal standpoint .... my understanding is that practicing and doing doughnuts on snowy lots is perfectly legal .............. unless, of course, you get caught.
I'd have to agree with what was said with the exception that you shouldn't really need to put the trans in neutral in a normal vehicle with an auto tranny ....... if you have a manual trans then obviously you should be hitting the clutch and brake at the same time because if you lock up the brakes for a sec then you will stall the engine and it may cause you to continue skidding after you release the brakes if there isn't enough traction to restart the engine.

threshhold breaking is the key .... you want to press the pedal till the tires just start to slide and let off just a little. then start slowly pressing till again the tires just start to slide and keep repeating till stopped....... this is a gentle process not an aggressive pumping of the pedal.

As far as not turning braking or accelerating at the same time ..... kinda takes all the fun out of it [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
seriously yeah it is kinda impossible to turn with the brakes locked up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 11:59 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I used to think it unnecessary to throw an auto in neutral too, until I managed to get into a bad situation and figured I may as well give it a shot, surprisingly it helped... Just something to keep in mind in the "if all else fails" or "last resort" category, for what it's worth the only time i've had to use that has been on pure ice, I'm sure that plays a major factor since the vehicle will be far more sensitive to even minor things when it comes to ice due to decidedly less friction available... Obviously the best bet is to not get into such a situation in the first place, with proper stopping distance, a reasonable speed in the first place and so forth...</font>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Addict

yeah after posting I got to thinking about your choice of tires and with my 15 38.5 15 hawgs it was a similar situation where they would damn near skid when a gust of wind hit me. that said definately for a new (to snow and ice) driver I recomend snow tires, all season radials, or at's in that order mud tires are a little hairy and wide bald ones like my hawgs are just plain scary ..... ps don't let my location fool you I recently moved here from ohio .... they get lots of snow and ice there believe you me..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 06:08 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Indeed tall and skinny tires. But what part of washington you in? The only places it doesn't snow is Seattle area. otherwise the rest of it gets snow alot, common as it gets.
I know its quite a bit colder than normally right now! Talking to my friend the other night up there saying he was happy with his new tall skinny tires he got for his truck.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

well..funny thing, we be in oak harbor, which is about 2 hours north of seattle...everybody's getting snow up here. it is uncommon for this area. the rain is what's prevalent.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 09:50 PM

just to let you know, you can make snow chains in an extreme situation by lacing rope around your tire and through the holes in your wheel. not soemthing you want to run with for too long, but i had to do this tonight to pull some dude out of a ditch. i normally wouldnt go through that much trouble for someouen when the windchill is -20 but he is an ex-marine so i figured it was the lewast i could do. damn 2WD trucks
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 11:06 PM

Good luck threshhold braking with the ****ty ABS your year has, unless you disconnect it like i did mine [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 05:41 AM

I wont knock my two wheel ABS system. I replaced the factory defective dump valve and now the ABS works ubelieveably good! I was surprised at how well it stopped on icy roads. I have had three 88+ Chevy trucks and I thought the brakes just sucked in general. When I fixed my newest one, I was a little shocked to see how well they really do work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode