locker for 8.25 IFS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 03:15 AM
taqwache

locker for 8.25 IFS

i am installing my 4.10s soon and figure i might as well also install a locker for the front. i already have the stock rear locker but i would also like on for the front. problem is that i dont see anyone that offers one. i only see a ARB air locker for a 9.25 IFS but not the 8.25 IFS. i would perfer a inexpensive on honestly. can yall help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 06:39 AM

Re: locker for 8.25 IFS

Nope... nobody makes a locker for the 8.2". Probably never will. First off the case isn't strong enough to support the additional torque applied when BOTH wheels need traction. The housing is aluminum, and if you ever really wheeled on IFS, you may have noticed that the shaft in the pig has a queer tendency to shear itself off when torque is applied....

You wanna lock your front diff? Best bet - and I think most here would agree - is to get a Dana 60 and the ORU kit, and build a real front axle and suspension. Then you can lock it up all day long. Good luck!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 09:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I asked the same question a few months ago because I was doing the same thing as you. I actually did find a company that makes one and someone on this board replied to me saying that they had one installed in their truck. With that said, everyone else also stated I would be grenading my front carrier so I decided against it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 01:17 AM
taqwache

do you remember the company that made one or the part number. a dana 60 and SFS is way out of my budget right now. i wanted a front locker because i go through alot of loose sand and 4 wheel drive instead of 3 wheel drive makes a ton of difference. i understand that i might break my front diff housing but i dont wheel that hard at all. i just love going camping i very hard spots to get to.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taqwache View Post
do you remember the company that made one or the part number. a dana 60 and SFS is way out of my budget right now. i wanted a front locker because i go through alot of loose sand and 4 wheel drive instead of 3 wheel drive makes a ton of difference. i understand that i might break my front diff housing but i dont wheel that hard at all. i just love going camping i very hard spots to get to.
Yeah I was hoping you could send me the name of the company as well. I found something on AAM, well someone else found it for me and sent me the link but still. here it is

American Axle & Manufacturing (AAM) - TracRite® Axle Differentials

Byt the looks of it, it would fit an 8.25 IFS. My truck is a 90 Z71, wouldit fit that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode