Need advice on wheels - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Need advice on wheels

OK.. here is the sitcheeation...

I am getting rid of a set of Mickey Thompson Classic 2 wheels that are 16x10 with ~ 4.5" backspacing. I have been running a set of Cooper Durango 305/70R16's on said rims... Well now its time for new meat.

For my truck I have only a 3" body lift. So options are limited. The old rims and tires stuck out too far from the wheelwells, and were wearing ball joints out like crazy (every two months or so I would wear out a HD Moog Problem Solver joint!)

Ok... so I went and had a set of Bridgestone A/T tires put on, size 285/75R16, my factory rims. Now, I cant get the suspension to travel like it did with the other set of wheels - they are too close to the frame now and rub when I flex. I am not fond of these tires already and plan on returning them for (hopefully) a set of Goodyear MT/R's. I want to go with the old size tire again (305/70R16) but I dont want them to stick out so far.

This is where I need my help. I need a good set of easy to clean (chrome?) wheels to put on my truck with the bigger tires again, and get to some serious wheeling again. Any ideas guys and gal?

Heres the truck with the old wheels and tires

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 09:59 PM

Re: Need advice on wheels

Eagle 589's, look like ur old ones, and just get the right size. I think those are a classic look
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

I do like the styling of the old rims... but they are difficult to keep clean (cant just spray them off at the car wash and get away with it). They required almost weekly polishing to keep the shine on, and now the clearcoat is gone and no shine remains again...

But beyond all that, what is a good size wheel with good backspacing? I get an excellent deal on wheels through a performance warehouse, but I have to know specs on what I am looking for. The M/T's were nice for about a week then I realized how much of a hassle they were jutting out like they were. I dont mind if they peer out of the wheelwell a little.. but not like the old ones did!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Old Hand

Run some 16x8s. It wont wear out the ball joints like the 10s, but it will keep the tires from rubing the frame like the 16x6.5 stockers do.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

As for tires.. I cant afford the MT/Rs like I wanted, so....

Has anyone used these??

Bridgestone Dueller MT w/UNI-T

Let me know what you all think. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Anybody in here EVER run a set of these tires???
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 07:41 PM
alvaro3jr

I haven't used those tires, but I did do quite a bit of research when i was deciding which tires to buy. Those tires tested very well.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Well, I will be going from this tire -

To these -

I know the traction will be exceptional compared to the A/Ts, but I just figured I would ask some other opinions first. You guys seem pretty knowledgeable when it comes to these things!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode