Mufflers or no mufflers. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Mufflers or no mufflers.

Well, I have been thinking... Should I keep my truck with no mufflers at all like it is(still got the cats) or should I buy a muffler... Would I be losing power and miledge with no muffler or vice versa and the same with muffler....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 12:44 PM

Re: Mufflers or no mufflers.

I'd say your losing a good chunk of low end without mufflers... Mine blew off of my old truck while wheeling once and I just threw it in the bed and never put it back on. Then about 6 months later I put a muffler on and there were definately noticeable torque increases off idle.

Plus you can hold a conversation in the cab again [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

On my current truck I have the granny 70 seriew flowmasters that are nice and quiet. After being on the trail for days at a time with some people with glass packs and such, it gets annoying really quick... Every little rock VRRRAAAAMMMMMMMMM!!!!! whereas my truck goes putt putt putt... [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 06:32 PM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

I run a straight pipe, no mufflers. Love it. Just can't hear in the cab. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But performance is great. Got a lot better after taking out the muffler and cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 08:27 PM
bowtie_guy

Currently I have none but am in the middle of ordering headers/high flow cats/ and muffs. I noticed a difference in power. Lost low end stuff. The stuff I WANT. Going to install some magnaflows I think. Seems they have better power than the flows.

Also no muffs is getting old, loud as hell idling in the driveway.

I have true duals now but want the muffs on. Plus I figure high flows and headers will help in power as well.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have no cat and a 40 series flowmaster on. I think it sounds better with no cat than it does with no muffler. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'd want to keep the cat. I don't like stinky exhaust... And mine really ain't that loud, I can hear just fine in the cab and carry a conversation... Its wierd, but when I get on it... its rather poppy and loud! lol
Would I be best to get one muffler and do the 'H' or 'X' setup or two mufflers??? I belive all of you are right on the low end power loss, mine seems to lack on the low end alot... I tried for the first time the other day to do a burn out on pavement, it left about 25 feet of rubber and some smoke but not like i would have thought... Also in while I'm in the sand it seems alittle lacking... But since I own a truck I ain't much for burnouts... I need that tranny and axle to last as loooong as possible lol.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 12:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mine doesnt stink at all. I forgot you had a new truck, my cousin had 2 40series single in single out with no pipes out the back and it sounds really good. Its not loud in the cab and doesent pop or sound crappy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode