Battery Cable Upgrade?? UPDATE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Battery Cable Upgrade?? UPDATE

Well i think im gonna change out my battery cable as i think it might be causing some problems. Sometimes it just seems like its not getting all the juice it should from the battery. Anyways.. i called the local parts store and they didn't have anything for it, said they could probalby match it if i bring it up. I want something heavy duty though, i don't want to replace it with some thing thats gonna fail again, and i really don't want to make the cable myself, perfer to buy one already made that looks good too. Mine has the main wire that goes to the starter and another one that runs up to the fire wall. Does anyone know where i can get some heavy duty battery cables from? Thanks for any help on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 06:15 PM
Addict

Re: Battery Cable Upgrade??

Make sure you buy a top-post setup, or you run the risk of it failing again. I got a two-gauge wire that I ran from the top of the battery to the starter, just like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33574

The other wire going to your battery is the wire that runs to the junction block. This wire distributes power to every part of the vehicle. I ran another two-gauge wire for that, and it has eyeholes on each end, kinda like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33574

Brandon
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

So basically you have 2 separate wires one for the starter and one for the junction box? I was thinking of trying to find one termainal that has 2 leads coming off it, but if i can just run 2 seperate ones then i'll do that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 02:17 PM
Addict

Yes, I had a separate wire for the starter and junction block. This did fix the starter problems I was having. Here is a picture of the terminal with multiple leads coming off of it:

Brandon
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

nice setup, thanks foe your help! I think i might rig something up like that. What does your orginal side terminal go to now?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 03:25 PM
Addict

Well,

Before I sold the truck [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], I didnít have anything connected to it. That was an older pic, when the side post still powered the starter. I feel the whole side-post setup is a bad idea, because of the corrosion problems, and the fact that they are a pain in the ass to jump-start. Despite this, GM continues to use this setup on all of their vehicles. Good luck with the setup, and let me know if you have any more questions.

Brandon
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Re: Battery Cable Upgrade?? UPDATE!

well im having some cables made from this place. http://www.custombatterycables.com/index.htm I'll let everyone know how they turn out. I have one quick question. What size ring terminal do i need for the starter. I looked and it appears to be 5/16? Is this right? i thought it would have be 3/8?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 10:40 AM

I like those custom battery cables a lot for the new alternator. BTW, do any of you know if the stock positive wire from the back of the alternator to the battery has a fuse on it?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 11:02 AM

It's a fusible link...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

So what do i do about upgrading that wire from the alt to the fuse block? Do i need to have one made with that link on it or what? And what size wire would be best? Its a 140 Amp Alt... Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode