axle questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 01:03 PM
alvaro3jr

axle questions

can anybody lead me in the right direction. I need a webstie that will explain the differences between axles. IE: what is a DANA 60? The differences between full/semi floating axles.

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 02:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: axle questions

Just ask the question here, beacuse someone on this board can usually answer it!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 02:38 PM

Heres a quick summary:

This board is for Independent Front Suspension (IFS) trucks (89 and newer in trucks, 92 and newer in Blazer/Burb), so there is no live axle in the front, but i'll include the ones for Solid front axle (SFA) trucks for reference. When people talk about a Dana 60 in a newer truck, they have replaced the IFS with SFA.

Fronts:
Dana 60 - 1 ton, about the strongest short of 2.5 ton rockwells, most desireable in older trucks or to swap into newer ones

Dana 44 - 1/2 or 3/4 ton, not as strong as the D60, and comparable to the 10 bolt

10 bolt - 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, not all that strong, named for the 10 bolts on the diff cover

Rears -
14 bolt FF - 14 bolts on teh cover, 1 ton, very strong, full floater refers to how the axle shafts transmit power and don't carry weight.

14 bolt SF - Semi floater.

Sorry, gottta run, i'll finish later, or someone can add the rest for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 04:12 PM
alvaro3jr

sorry I didn't introduce myself. I have actually been watching the board for quite some time, but have not been able to post (something with my settings would not let me.) I own a 93 4x4 1/2 ton suburban. I have always been into modifying vehicles, but have been more of a 1/4 mile type person. I live in southern cali and love the sand/baja scene. The burban will see off-road use. I am a true believer in using a vehicle for what it's for. As stock as it is it's seen mud and sand up to the frame.

The burban has a 10 in the rear with 3.73's from factory and I believe according to the dash codes it has a posi. If it does, would I need a new unit when I go with 4.88's or 4.56's. I want to to with a 14 bolt in the rear. Are there any 14 bolt 6lugs out there. I have access to several junk yards that actually have pretty good prices. In fact I managed to scrounge the front half to a 6" pro-comp lift for the burban for very cheap. The only thing it did not include was shocks and the bars that go from the frame to the front diff.

Ideally I would like a 14 bolt ff for the rear, but do not know what vehicles come with it, or if they come in 6 bolt. As far as the front, the SFA conversion sounds awsome, but for me the cost/use doesn't factor in yet.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 09:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

the 14 bolt sf axle is made in 6 and 8 lug version,

the 8 lug version in in 8600gvw trucks,
the 6 lug version in 7200 gvw trucks,

all ffull floating axles are 8 lug, in theyre stock form
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 04:42 PM
alvaro3jr

what is the difference between semi and full floating axles. does anybody have a diagram I can look at. I am kind of a visual learner.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 04:54 PM

Heres an internal breakdown of both axles... a 9.5" Semi-Floater and a 10.5" Full-Floater.

The SemiFloater

The FullFloater
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 04:58 PM

The easiest comparison to make is the location of the axle flange. The full float axles' axle, can be removed without tearing the whole drum assembly apart - in most cases without even removing the wheel(s). The strain of having your axle hold up the weight of the vehicle is gone with a full floater, as it acts merely as a means of getting torque to the hub... not as a means of holding the assembly together.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 04:29 PM
alvaro3jr

thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode