To whom it may concern - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

To whom it may concern

Well, i was driving back from school today. I refueled and put in 26gallons of 89 gas. I get to chicago and all of the sudden my truck turns completely off. I put it in neutral and turn the key to off to restart it. Nothing happens. I glide down a hill with flashers on to pull off on the side of the road. I open the hood and see if the battery terminals were loose, which they werent. Checked spark plug wires, they were good. I called IDOT to get someone out here to figure what is going on/tow truck. I call my dad and he calls a chevy dealership close to my house. They say it is the fuel pump due to the cold air and low fuel in the tank before i refueled. Still, i drove 140 miles on the new tank. They said it could also be the computer. Either way, it took 3hrs for a tow truck to arrive and luckily since i was 40 miles south of home, my mom came and waited with me. Now my truck is sitting on the south side of chicago, (bad part of chicago) and will be worked on tomorrow. The service guy said i should take my cd player with me because of theft. I said, oh great. Anyways, thankful my mom came because i had a lot of stuff with me since i was coming home for the holidays. Sorry this is long, but i just wanted to vent since a 4hr drive turned into an 8hr drive. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 08:22 PM
somudo

Re: To whom it may concern

sorry to hear about that man, but that has been happening to a lot of my friends out here in georgia. all 3 of them said it was there fuel pump. it might be some bad gas with some sort of grandular substance that could have torn up your fuel pump. if it's that you either have to drop the tank or take off the bed to get to it. its either that or a loose connection or your alternator. check the lights if they still work and see if they dim or not. also check the battery itself and see if it has enough water. if it doesn't than it wouldn't be able to hold a charge and you might damage one of the cells.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 08:56 PM

you said ytou tried to restart it and it didnt do anything. does than mean it didnt turn over, or didn start or did it literally do NOTHING?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 09:02 PM

When you went to start it did it turn over. Mine has cut off when i was driving down the road but then it would turn right back on, it feels like it loses all ignition then it comes back, Allmost like i turned the key off and then on. All the lights would come on in the dash. I have not tore into it yet. I hate messing with the electrical system. Well Good luck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

it was cranking over. there is plenty of battery power. I was going to install the mean green this afternoon. Hopefully, i get the truck back tomorrow evening and then install it then. At this point, i just want the truck to get fixed. I can't believe the service guy told me to take my cd player out of the truck because of theft. When he said that, my jaw dropped.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 02:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

computer........my old car did that to me once
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

The service guy called and said it was the distributor cap/rotor... They are all coroded up. They are putting on a new belt since its time for a new one. Anyways, thanks for all the help. Mean green going in tonight.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 10:33 AM

ahh, do your maintenance boy! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] $50 worth of parts has gotten you a couple hundred dollar bill. but, glad they got the problem so you can get your truck back [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] it sux being without it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 12:04 PM

I've had that happen to me once with my S10 4x4. Blew a hole right in the middle of the distributor rotor because it arc'ed at one point. Not a cool feeling, but replace the rotor and cap and all was good again.

But at any rate, glad it was something "easy" and not grossly expensive.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 06:00 PM
bluebus

Take this as a cheap lesson on driving a vehicle of any type. It seems that you are interested in diagnosing your own vehicle, take some time and read through some the the posts here in regards to problems others have had and log them into your long term memory for future reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode