Got my gears! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Got my gears!

Well I finally got my rear 4.10s on the way [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ...I'm one step closer to rgearing anyway [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I'd love to do the install, but, I guess I should learn how to do it on a junk axle first. Should I buy the install kit and take that down to a shop and just pay for labor. Or just take the gears in and have them use their stuff? I'm also going to call my uncle(he's a mech) and see if he'd be able to do it. That'd really save on install costs.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my joyous news [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

btw, was anyone else having trouble getting on ORC the last couple days??? My bookmarks wouldn't work, but I finally linked in from an email reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 03:49 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Got my gears!

Monica,

If you end up getting a shop to do it, when you are getting prices, call the "diff doctor" here in town. He should be in the phone book. I had called him about some gears for my old K-5 back in 98 or so and he had the best prices for installs. I never ended up having the gears installed, but I hear he does good work, knows his stuff, and has good prices, (which he did quote me the lowest install price). Anyway, just thought I'd pass it along.

Yes, i had trouble trying to get on yesterday. I kept getting the same ol error type message that I get when the site is down.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Thankx for dropping the shop's name. I was about to start thumbing through the phone book to start calling around. I'm not sure who's the best available around here...or in corpus for that matter. This gives me something start with [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 09:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Shorts, where did you get the gears from? I still need to put 4.10's in my front.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

There's a place here in CC that'll setp the rear for 265, plus the 79 install kit. they'll do the front for 365. I wonder how much that price drops if I just take them the diff???

Harmsie, I got the rears on Ebay [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The fronts, well, I'm putting off for a little bit. But, I'll probably end up getting those online somewhere, or at a shop maybe. There's no telling.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 11:37 AM
daveZ71

Are you going to put in a locker of any kind? Just curious if you looked into availability at all. Do you have a 14- bolt semi floater, or full floater in your truck?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

no, no locker(rear) because my truck is my daily driver in the city. so, i figured until i live somewhere where i have better access to dirt, i don't need to unecessarily wear tires and such. as it is now, the posi is EXTREMLEY active. as for the front, no locker either. i wouldn't put one in that IFS even if there was one made for it. i still want to d a SFA before i'm done with this truck, so, the front is kinda still in the works.

the rear is just the 10 bolt. i was hoping i could find the 14sf with 410s, but waiting on that was like waiting on christmas in july [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 12:28 PM
daveZ71

GOTCHA. I was thinking about the Powertrax no-slip myself, because it seems to be street friendly. The problem I had with the posi, is that it disconnects at 20 MPH. It's not hard to get to 20 MPH wheelspin. I dont go too crazy off road, but I don't like not making the top of the hill either. I am looking into the SAS also, but I dont want to spend that much, either. But if I keep breaking those darn front axles, I'll be there soon enough. LOL
Good luck with the swap. I added mine up - for gears, install kits, locker, and labor was almost $1500. OUCH! The shop was going to save me $200 if I took the front housing out. But then they can't test drive it, so I decided against it. (they're 2 hours away) Oh well, someday it'll happen.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 06:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Damn, $365 for the front is great. I was quoted $750 but that included everything. For my rear I bit the bullet and bought a rebuilt 14 bolt SF with 4.10 gears and gov loc. I gave up on finding a used one.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

yeah, i thought 365 was ok. then i called another place here in cc - 350 for the front.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode