Powerless Windows - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Powerless Windows

My dad went to get the trash cans with my truck tonight and he put the driver window down. he told me when i got home he couldnt get the window back up. sometimes i have to mess with the switch to get them to work this time i couldnt get it to work. I cant even get the pass window to work i dont see a fuse noted for the power windows. any help would be great. i sprayed some lube on the connections of the switches also still no window even tries to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 01:12 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Re: Powerless Windows

If both stopped it sure sounds like a fuse. May just need the switch replaced though. Even if you try from the pass side switch it won't work? Or only using the driver switch neither works?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Yea I have had to switch around the switches to get them to work i have one lock switch and one window switch that is bad so i put them in the lock position so i have working windows. the window went down fine but now nothing. like i said i dont see a fuse for the power windows. any ideas? i pulled some fuses out and they were fine. any help is great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 03:13 PM

I have an aftermarket setup for my power windows. When I installed it I put the fuse in the factory position on the fuse block. I don't remember what it was labeled as but if you have access to a manual, it should tell you. I've had to rebuild my switches twice. It's a little tricky but it could be done. I would recommend just replacing them if you find they are bad.

Good luck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 07:39 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'm pretty sure they go through a relay...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 07:47 PM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

I think Cody is right. under the dash there are those 2 silver boxes that say "power" I think those are relays for the power windows and locks. might check/replace them?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Under the dash meaning in the fuse panel? there are 2 silver boxes that say power but the top one says ignition and the bottom says batt. i tried to test restiance but they both had no resistance. i tried to swap them but they are oppisite made they are the same but the words are on oppisite sides. when i swapped them they still dont work. any ideas?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 09:54 PM

Not fuse panel. There a junction box under teh dash in the drivers foot area. Same area the buzzer for your lights/keys is located. Just turn on your lights and follow the sound....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 09:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mine has been working the windows rather slow over the years, now the drivers side window stop working completely. I think its the switch since the windows move faster, if you use the passenger window switches. I guess swapping with the power lock switch sounds good. I always use my keyless entry remote to do the locks anyways. 20 years is a pretty good lifespan for a switch I suppose. Maybe go with an aftermarket switch if you need new ones, since other people appear to have problems with these chevy switches too. -Greg
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

The look on peoples face when they go to put the window down is funny when they see 2 lock buttons. i have had people as me if i could put the window down some (that was my goal since the swiches are not the best) because they would push on the real door lock and nothing would happen. I looked last night under the dash by the feet and I have a big black box (flasher) i didnt see the silver ones. I will look again tonight when it is not raining. i need to move some atv's around so i can pull it all the way in the garrage. thanks for the help guys. anyone have the wiring diagram for the 1989 GMC k1500 the free autozone one doesnt show the power windows. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode