Tensioner Update - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Tensioner Update

Hopefully my mean green alt arrives Wednesday or Thursday. Anyways, when it does, I am going to get it in right away. I know i have to loosen the tensioner, then turn it clockwise, unbolt the alt, undo the harness, bolt up the new one, attach harness, put the belt back on, and tighten the tensioner back. I am confused where the tensioner is located. Is it almost right underneath the alt? Do you suggest using a breaker bar to loosen it as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 04:59 PM

Re: Tensioner

Confused to where it's at? It's kinda hard to miss... Big pulley on a lever arm...

Yep, use a breaker bar on it, if you look on the alluminum cast lever arm it will have arrows pointing telling you which way to turn it. You don't actually unscrew the bolt to loosen the tension, it just moves the whole arm as you use the breaker bar and you slip the belt off then release pressure on the breaker bar and the tensioner will pop back in place. No brainer.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 07:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yup just like willy said. If you still cant find it, its located iin about the middle of the motor between the alt and ac compressor. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, what they said. Only don't forget to slowly release the tensioner when you take the belt off. If you let it go the spring inside will break at the end. It can be jerry-rigged to be made work but... just don't break it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Re: Tensioner Update

I do not have a breaker bar to use as I am still at school till the 19th. I am considering using just a ratchet. Is this a good or bad idea?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 03:44 PM

Good idea. that's all I've ever used. the tensioner has teh hole for a 3/4 or 1/2 inch ratchet I believe. It's very simple.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

sounds good..... So all i do is take the ratchet to it with the socket, and turn counterclockwise. By turning this direction, will it then loosen the belt? I am asking way to many questions for such an easy thing to do... I would rather know than not know. Thanks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 10:52 PM

The ratchet goes right into the tensioner without a socket. You'll see what I mean when you get in there. Just turn it whichever way the belt loosens. I can never remember those type of details. Pull the belt off the pulley and you're on your way.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 02:17 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
So all i do is take the ratchet to it with the socket, and turn counterclockwise. By turning this direction, will it then loosen the belt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like he said, no socket... just use the square end of the drive...

Just think of the tensioner as a spring loaded lever, your moving it to release the "tension" that's on the belt. DO NOT take the tensioner off. When you put the belt back on, you'll move it the same way again.... to relieve the tension, and allow the belt to go on. When you have the belt where you want it, release the tensioner, and it will pivot back to it's original location... putting tension back on the belt.

If you still don't understand, ask more .... it's no biggy. I think you'll get the idea real quick when you see it.

Oh, .... and don't let your hand come off the ratchet while your holding the tensioner back... and if you do... DUCK.. REALLY REALLY FAST! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 10:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You might want to do this with 2 people, in case you get your finger stuck between the belt and pully. There is a lot of tension on it and it will HURT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode