Gearing Questions?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Nodak

Gearing Questions??

I am on here and trying to learn all kinds of stuff. I think I have 3.73 gears. The truck does not "get up and go" like I would like it to even with the new 350 I had put in. If I re-gear this thing, what do I put in there? 4.11's? Where do you get these? How much does it cost? How is gas mileage affected? How tough is it to do it? Will I be able to hold 75-80 mph against a headwind? It is a 5-speed manual, if that matters at all.

I am mechanically retarded at the moment, but I am trying to change that.

How in gods name do you post pictures on here? I have recently taken pictures of my truck and would like to post them on here so you guys can see it and hopefully no ridicule it too much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1228094-My Truck 002.jpg (15.4 KB, 55 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Nodak

Re: Gearing Questions??

Hey, I did it!!

Can I attach more than one file to each post?

This is my 14SF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1228100-My Truck 004.jpg (14.8 KB, 57 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 12:07 AM

I attachement/post

Anyways, ur truck probably has 3.73's stock if it doesn't have 4.10's. Search for rpo codes on here and you'll find a list of dash box codes to verify what you have.

The general consensus is going 1 step in gear ratios (3.73's to 4.10's is one "Step") isn't worth the money. I want to say gears for a 4x4, professionaly installed, is near a grand. Not postive though. And if you havne't done it before, gears are something to be left to the professionals from what i've read around here.

As for where to get them if you still want to do it, www.randysringandpinion.com
comes to mind just because they advertise on here. Not sure on how their prices compare though.

Hope this helps, im sure ppl will correct me if i said anything thats correct......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 02:27 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

I had a local off-road shop do mine. He put in the rear with my new posi so I don't know the breakdown, but I think about $150 parts, $100 labor. Same for the front, so I would guess about $500 for both installed. I went from a 3.42 gear to a 4.10 and my gas mileage basically stayed the same (10-12) but the truck has lots more get-up-and-go now. I plan on running 35"s on my truck, and I chose 4.10 because right now with my 33"s the motor turns 2500 rpm @ 75mph. I'd like to lower that # a little.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 08:56 AM

Hot dam. Whoa $500 sounds like a steal? Around where I live, you might be looking at closer to $750-800
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 10:09 AM

1000 for both axles here in Sac.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 11:22 AM

Heh, so my estimate wasn't that far off.....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 02:06 PM

i had the same set-up. NV3500 and 3.73s. i had 33s though and had no problems with hauling or outright going faster than i should have.
installign gears and making them work is simple. making them not howl at speeds over 35MPH and making them last more than a week or two is the hard part. i have removed and replaced my gear sets a dozen times or so for broken axle shaft replacements etcetera, but i will never set them up on a vehicle i plan to take on teh highway. i dont have the experience thas needed to do it well.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 02:25 PM
Nodak

So, what kind of a gear ratio should I upgrade to? Also, thats a helluva lot of money. $500 might be OK in the future, but a grand is not worth it unless torque and gas mileage gained is that significant.

What kind of shop would do gears? In my town, there really isn't any 4X4 shops. Just the standard auto repair and transmission places.

With the new engine I could hold 75 against 15 mph headwind, but my mileage was terrible. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

Overall, it just seems liek it needs more in the bottom end and I was trying to figure out ways to get that. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 02:42 PM

You shouldn't need a 4x4 specific shop, and drivetrain/axle shop, maybe even some tranny shops, could do the work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode