Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   Whats the Difference? (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/182232-whats-difference.html)

GTRider245 12-05-2003 09:40 AM

Whats the Difference?

What is the difference between a Chevy 4x4 and a Z71?I cant tell any difference. Im not trying to do any bashing, but its obviouse when you put a Ford 4x4 beside and FX4. I was just wondering if there are any extras added to a Z71 that arent on a 4x4, such as shocks, tires, interior, etc. (Like the Ford 4x4 compared to FX4, wich comes with Rancho shocks and OffRoad tires)

1987 F-150 4x4

dhcomp 12-05-2003 09:52 AM

Re: Whats the Difference?

Depends on the year truck, but basic differences are shocks, wheels/tires, and metal skid plates. I know you can get the skid plates without the Z71 package, but basically the differences are minimal. If you're planning to modify/lift the truck, there's not really any reason to get a z71 vs. a normal truck, you can get the skid plates from a salvage yard, and the rest of the parts get removed in a lift.

**DONOTDELETE** 12-05-2003 10:11 AM

You get a cool litte decal the says...Z71 on the side of your truck.

MSF 12-05-2003 03:07 PM

If you're talking about the new Z71s, the package includes all kinds of stuff. Go read a 2004 Z71 window sticker, it will say Z71 options one... then Z71 options two... It's a long list. I can't remember off the top of my head what they are, but it's coming to a point where Z71 means what Silverado used to mean (since all the new ones are called Silverados regardless of equipment).

crash5291 12-05-2003 04:19 PM

whats differnt about the shocks?

the only thing i have noticed about the rim/tire dif on the late 90's trucks was that the center caps were smothe oposed to the bolt patern on the non Z71's

dhcomp 12-05-2003 04:22 PM

The z71 got bilstein monotube gas shocks, althought they're still pretty soft. Nothing like the bilstein HD's or 5100's

muddybronco 12-05-2003 04:42 PM

stickers and a buttload of ego, from what i can tell

Shorts 12-05-2003 05:53 PM

the center caps have nothing to do with the package. the caps changed at model years. the smooth center came in '96 with the vortecs. if you look at the early 90s aluminum rims, the spokes aren't directional like the mid-90s rims.

J.R. 12-05-2003 06:35 PM

What about so-called "heavy-duty" towing package, larger tranny cooler, slightly beefier rear springs, stuff like that?

CodyZ71 12-05-2003 06:47 PM

The 99+ Z71's come with monroe shocks. I don't like Monroe much, rather have bilstiens....
But I think everyone said what Z71 included... Tahoes and suburbans come with G80 limited slip and 17" rims oh and monocromatic paint scheme and stuff like that too...
Heres what it doesn't include!
20HP
lower gears
more ground clearance
heavier tranny
I've had salesman tell me thats what it included, hahahaha of course I corrected them... Stupid used car salesmen.