headers for 96-99 vortec 5.7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 09:21 PM
bggrnchvy

headers for 96-99 vortec 5.7

I have access to a set of pacesetter shorter headers for my truck. They don't have any coating on them. Would these be ok to use? Should I have them coated? Can I expect any actual performance upgrades? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 09:30 PM

Re: headers for 96-99 vortec 5.7

I have Borla headers... They definitely make a difference but aftermarket headers ALWAYS leak. Annoying sounds and what not. If i were you, get them coated. I have heard of pacesetter, but I didn't think they made stuff for chevy.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 09:49 PM
bggrnchvy

Do you now any good places i could send them to get coated? I already checked Jet Hot and they want $200 for there "sterling finish". Thats a little much and almost makes it more worth it to buy new ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 11:57 PM

It will be cheaper to buy new. $200 sounds reasonable for non coated headers to get coated. If i were you, i would rather get something new that is coated rather than used to get coated.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 08:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

In order to get the most perfomance out of the headers, you are going to need an air filter like K&N to get more air in and also better exhaust/mufflers.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 12:43 PM
hfd8

Hi, I just installed a set of PaceSetter shorty headers on my 98 K1500 5.7L. I purchased them new from Summit racing. I immediately went to have it dualled out (true dual) w/ 2 1/4", 2 cats, 2 Dynomax mufflers. The exhause work was great at Mike's Muffler in Houston however I quickly found the headers were crappily built. I have had a leak between the exhaust tube and flange on the right side and a leak between the collector pipe and the flange on the left side - all within 1 week. The problem is that the welds are minimal on the outside of the flanges and not that great on the inside. What I had to do was take them back out and have them completely welded at a shop. This cured my leaks. Also, the right header bumped a firewall heat shield so I had to remove a portion of the shield. As far as performance gains- I screwed up and had my heads ported and polished which killed my bottom/mid end. It comes alive over 3-grand and thats with a K&amp;N. So I couldnt tell you what you might get with just the header/exhaust. Just so you would know. Good Luck. <font color="red"> </font color>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 02:05 PM

So you had your collector pipes welded completely? I have an exhaust leak on the passenger side, and when I installed the headers myself, I wanted a shop to weld them completely together but wasn't sure whether or not I shoould do it. Do you think I should get it done? How much did it cost to get it welded?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 07:36 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I was thinking about getting some banks headers... Or should I say Torquetubes as they do... Because they make theirs like no other company and don't leak a bit, dont even have to use a gasket or goopy stuff... But I saw the price... almost 1000 bucks.. oouch.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

banks headers to me look like gibsons with heatsheilds mounted on them.

one reason for headers is to have tunded exhaust, gibson, banks, pace setter and hole slew of others are not.
those are just tubular ex manifolds to me.

I think headers should all be made with egual lenght tubes, (tuned)

basauni makes some reasnably priced tuned headers, chromed or ceramic coated. ceramic coated is right at 500 bucks

theyer are also other equal length headers, but I cant think if them off the top of my head
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 10:40 PM
TONAWANDA454

You should never cheap out on headers. I put a set of headmens on my truck and its been a nightmare eversince. Nothing but new leaks and cracks all the time. If I could find a set of stock exhaust maifolds I would probably switch back, or at least spend the money on a good set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode