Front differential problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 08:45 AM
Blk88GT

Front differential problems

So I went around a corner yesterday morning and heard some noises. I turned down the radio and the heater (it's cold up here in Canada!) and tried another corner. Sure enough, the passenger side outer CV joint let go.

So I pick up a ton of parts and head home. I figured if I'm going to take it apart, I might as well do the whole front end. New upper/lower balljoints, tie rod ends, sway bar endlinks, idler arm, etc.

I put it all together and then noticed something. The passenger side axle slides in/outa solid 3/4"-1"

This is NOT good.

I'm being told there is a clip that holds the axle in, with a gear on the end of it and I have to remove the axle tube from the housing by the 5 bolts around the 4x4 actuator solenoid. Is this correct? It looks like I have to drop the differential down to get at the top bolts.

Any help would be appreciated, it sucks having to get a ride to work from your parents who live 35 miles away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 11:17 AM

Re: Front differential problems

it doesn't take long to drop the diff, just make sure you have a floor jack under it to roll it in and out from under there. airtools will be nice to, especially reaching up there to get to the top mounting bolt, but you'll be ok without them. you can pull that axle tube off by removing those 5 bolts. i had to do that to check the stupid gear thing in there when my front end got locked. to tell you the truth, i don't even remember looking at the end of the axle shaft and how it was connected in there. so i can't help ya much. oh yeah, maje sure you have some sealant when you put the axle tube back on the diff and tighten the 5 bolts.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 12:33 PM
Blk88GT

Awesome, thanks so much. Do I have to drop the CV shaft on the drivers side, or can I just let it hang down?

What a disaster this is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 05:18 PM

yeah, undo the 6 flange to CV joint bolts on each side. then move them ouy of the way when you drop the diff. use bailing wire or something to hold the cvs up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode