Leaking washer fluid resevoir? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 06:22 AM
masher

Leaking washer fluid resevoir?

We've got a 2-door '99 Tahoe that the resevoir for the windsheild washer fluid leaks out [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I tried taking the resevoir our last night and can't get it. I took out the 2 screws that you can see but there must be something else holding it in?? Anyone ever take one out? My Haynes manual doesn't show anything about this. I'm sure it's not a very common problem, but now with the snow here I need to get it fixed. Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 01:17 PM

Re: Leaking washer fluid resevoir?

well my 66 panel truck never had any solvent system. so i used a pump and some tubing and a bit of wire to majkea new system for it. i mounted the motor onto the cap of a washer solvent bottle so that when it was time to re-fill all i had to do was swap bottles and i was good to go. I used mostly stuff i had laying around, and bought a new switch. i got away for a greand total of about $8. might be something for you to consider
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 03:35 PM

Believe it or not, there is a big bolt that hold either the tank or the little tool storage bin (i forget which) to the fender. Look under the drivers side fender, and there is a nut you must remove. There are also some bolts going through from the grill area that aren't attached to the resevoir, but must be partially removed because the threads keep the tank from being lifted up.
The pre-vortec ones (mine) is a lot less complicated.
If that doesn't make sense, let me know, i'll try to remember more. I just can't look at ours, because the burb is on a for-sale lot.

My guess is the pump seals are leaking. When you remove the pump, be sure to pull it straight up, in teh same axis as the cylinder. You can condition the seals somehow, or just buy new ones and insert into the tank. Just the action of removing and reinserting stopped the leak on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 06:20 AM
masher

Thanks for the info! No storage box on the '99 [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It must be the bolts from the grill area beacuse that seems to be where its getting hung up. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 12:21 PM

Ok, then those bolts should do it. I remember removing the headlight and/or indicator light from teh grill to get to those bolts. It doesn't seem to make much sense that you have to remove those, but when you get the tank out, you'll see why it is necessary. The tank is practically molded around the back half of those bolts.

First time i had to remove this, i think i cussed at it for over an hour before i got the damn thing out.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode