extended cv-axles? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

extended cv-axles?

i was wondering if anybody knew of extended cv-axles, where to get them and even if it is worth getting them. I have a 96 tahoe with 9in of lift on 35's. i have gone threw 5 cv-axles on the driver side, one of those was broke in 2 wheel. I need some serious help. please help a girl out, my other option is putting a straight axle under the truck [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 12:13 AM

Re: extended cv-axles?

What would a longer CV do to cure the problem? The stock CV's are just not up to handling 35" tires. They always turn no matter in 4wheel or 2wheel so if you have your torsion bars cranked at all and the shafts and anything other than level they will wear/break quickly.

You can get custom CV shafts made but it's going to be $2500+ but you get a larger and stronger CV. But still not worth it to me...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 12:19 AM

well before you get flamed. how brand of lift do you have, what combination? i assume its a 6"susp and a 3" body lift. have you cranked your torsion bars to get maximum lift?

without that information I"m gonna tell you my hunchbased on past experience and testimonials. your CV angles are too sever which is causing your CV shaft failures. its just the nature of the angle geometry and the stresses they generate. nothing you cando about it except try to decrease the angle.
now assuming the angles and geometry are okay you have an entirely different monkey on yuor back. GMs independant front suspension isnt the strongest out there. especially in half ton form. if you look at the CV shafts and joints, they are a bit aenemic. Willyswanter has broken them on his one ton truck using stock tires. it is not an uncommon part to break on a half ton especially with over sized tires. not much can be done about it really. it an inherently weak design.
It is generally thought that 35" tires are the maximum that GM IFS can handle. on the street there are few problems. out i nthe mud and trails, you will have problems unless you drive conservatively. with a heavy right foot....parts will shear.
I"m sorry to ruin your day like that but its just the way it is [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

so let us know what oyur set-up is exactly and we might be able to shed some more light fo ya.
cheers

EDIT: damn you willy and your rapid responses. yet again you beat me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 01:14 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

You know with 9" of lift you should have no trouble at all clearing 35"s. The easiest thing to do is turn down the bars like they said so your cv's sit level. 35"s can be hard on IFS but if handled properly, you shouldn't have any problems. Also remember that some 35"s weigh a lot more than others and may not balance as well. Bias ply tires are more difficult to balance than radials. You may want to try a radial if you aren't already running one to reduce some vibration/weight. Let us know what your set up is and we can give you some more insight.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 07:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have 35 bfg mud terr. my bars are set in the middle, not all the way up. i have 6 in pro comp susp, 3 in body, with a factory motor and tranny. i don't know what i am doing to keep breaking the cv. but i am not breaking the cv it pulling apart at the upper cv boot [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 08:40 PM

where are you getting your CV joints from? can you get a pic of the angles? just thought of this, do the pro comp kits come with A-arm drop brackets or are they using the new spindle method. reason i ask, the spindle kits also use spacers for the CV joint-axle flange connection. if those arn't installed, then you could be screwing up the CV joints that way. someone correct me if i'm thinking astray [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have been getting them fom auto zone, it is a dropped a-arm bracket
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 02:59 PM

I have a pro comp lift on my truck too, never have had this problem though. I also have new CV shafts from autozone. Is there anyway you can take a pic of the front of your truck showing the CV axle angles?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, i will get the cam out tomorrow and take some pics, we have looked and can't find why it keeps doing this
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 11:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you using the Moog CV, because they have a lift time warranty. Im not sure if there stronger than others but you wount have to spend money on new ones all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode