One more post about this d@mn roof rack - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

One more post about this [email protected] roof rack

Here i go with hopefully the last thread about this DAMN rack i need/have, sorry guys.....

Ok, so i FINALLY got a stock roof rack and installed it on my truck. Installed it with well nuts, and thought i sealed everything up pretty good with caulk.

So i get on the freeway, and I now have a very nice whistle noise at any speed over about 45. It is definitely a new sound, from the rack, so i need to figure out where its coming from and seal it before it leaks much water.
I hear it from the drivers seat, but it is definitely somewhere in the back, so after i get someone to sit back there and listen, i'm going to start eliminating sources.

Whats the best way to "recondition" seals at the rear window? I was thinking something like vaseline, but i know there should be something better. Hopefully its a fluke and the rear hatch started leaking, and the rack is fine.

Sorry for the long post, im tired and need sleep, just wanted to get suggestions before i tackle this tmr, rain is on the way and im parking outside [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 07:48 AM

Re: One more post about this [email protected] roof rack

just becasue youi heara whixteling noise doesnt eman that you will haeva elak ther. you might just be hearing wind as it travels in between the racjk and the roof. high speed winds and obstacles for it can dosome wierd thigns regardoing resonance and thus your "whistling" noise. good luck to you though. i always use silicone based p[roducts for sealing that stuff. i like black, but clear works well too. and apply liberally. I"d rather havea bit of extra silicone on the roof than a gallon of water dripping on me.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking about rigging up some sort of a farring (sp?) to guide the air over the crossbars and see if that is thats whats whistling. I realize it could just be the rack, but it's pretty loud, and seems like its inside the cab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 09:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it sounds like the noise is inside the cab then you might have a leak, but if its just a loud noise then it might just be the bars on the roof rack doing it from the wind. My buddys landrover does it real bad and its from the factory like that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 02:21 PM

try a test. this is going to be expensive, labor intensive, and horribly difficult...but it'll work.

what you need is......a couple of rolls opf duct tape. and secure the tape to the X-members of the roof-rack. and extend it a foot or so out in front of that cross-member. secure to the roof. this will basically make the roof-rack the frame of the fairing you were talking about. do this to all of the x-members and see if you can eliminate or change the noise. if so, you've found the problem. at that point, i woul modify a bugshirld off the front of some squarish, fron vehicle and make that deflect wind over the rack like the kenworths, macs, peterbuilts....etc do over the top of their trailers.

so like i said...expensive, hard.....blah blah blah.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 08:53 PM
Phazer

If you have a bug sheild on the hood, try removing it. If you don't, try adding one. Sometimes change the flow of air in front of the truck will change the air flow over the rest of it. I always noticed w/s washers don't work as good at highway speeds when you have a bug deflector. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Ok, when i went home I duct taped some cardboard across the front crossbar to thh roof. And the noise stopped. So good news is it is the crossbars and not a leak on a mount. Badnews is that i need the crossbars. Next time i put skis up there i'll see if i can move them back a ways.....

The rack alone whistles at like 60+ mph, but now that i had to lift my ski rack another inch to clear bindings, it now makes noise at anythign over 30 mph

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] Wierd Noises

Thanks for the help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode