Service Engine Soon? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Service Engine Soon?

My service Engine soon light came on and When I checked it with the code reader it gave me a code that said "4x4 mecahanical transfer case switch circuit failure" But the four whell drive still works fine in both Hi and low range? What does this mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 10:22 AM

Re: Service Engine Soon?

the SES light comes on when a sensor gives a signal that is outsaide the acceptable parameters. it doesnt necessarily mean anything ois wrong. my truck would continously give O2 sensor errors. the truck was in fine shape, i just had a bad sensor. if evverything is working fine on yours then dont be alarmed, you'll just need to replace the sensor to get it to go away. what i would try first though is erasignt he codes. Autozone and jiffy lube will do this for free. then see if it happens again. sometimes you can get an erroneous code and it isnt a big deal. so its worth it to checkthat angle out before you buy a new sensor
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 07:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you have a 99-02 k pick up that code means your 4wd switch is bad. You need to pull the dash off around the cluster and replace the switch if its still under warrenty have a GM dealer do it, if not its not that hard to do. the trum is all snap on be carful dont brake the clips! just pry the old switch out and unplug it . plug the new one in and put the dash back togather clear the codes and your on your way.. now i can do this in about 5mins so if it takes to long your doing it wrong =)

good luck
Colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 02:36 PM

just ensure that the tilt steering wheel is tilted all the way down and the gear selector is i nthe lowest position. that'll give you bit more clearance
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 10:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok you said it would be the switch if I had a 99+ chevy...Well mine is a 96 so would it still be the switch? and why does it still work then? My local GM service center could tell me nothing when i asked them so it is pointless to spend a couple hundred dollars for them to "see if they can figure it out"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 01:14 AM

thjeni would suppose the problem is elsewhere. my guess is either at the T-case where the electronic engaging mechanism is, or perhaps at the front diff. i doubt this since i installed hte posi-lok and i didnt have any problems up front relative to the t-case engaging and the diff ebing disengaged.
this leads me to believe its at the T-case. i oculd be worngcuz mine was a mechanical shift NP241, but thast where I'd check
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode