Front end noise above 50 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Front end noise above 50

A few months ago I heard a noise that sounded like the transfer case was not disengaging. I finally found out it was the driver's side bearing/hub assembly. I changed it out and noise gone. The last few weeks I have been hearing that same noise. I figured with 110,000 miles that it is probably the passenger side assembly and change it(it needed changing). Noise is still there. I drive around and decide to see if it might be t/c. I shift into 4 hi and drive a short distance. I shift out of 4 hi and I could hear and feel that the front end did not disengage. I put it in 4 lo and drive a short distance and shift out of 4 lo. I go forward then reverse(to make sure it unlocks) and then forward again. Still sounds like front end did not disengage. I drive home(about 2 miles) at around 50 mph. After about a mile it sounds like front end disengages. I just recently changed fluids in front end and transmission. This is the first time that either has been changed. Is it possible that putting new fluid in could cause something to go wrong? Does the actuator just all of sudden quit working or will it sometimes work and sometimes not? Sorry for the long post, I just don't know where to look next. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Sometimes it's hard to explain some of this stuff in just a few words. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thanks for any suggestions. Oh yea, also, when I have the front jacked up and spin the tire I can hear a clicking sound coming from the axle. Is this normal? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 05:35 PM

Re: Front end noise above 50

Do you have an intermittent popping noise driving down the road? and it feels and sounds as if gears are stuck between lock and unlock? reason i ask is, i have been having similar noises and feelings going on with my truck. i'm hoping its the cv joints, but i'm afraid its either the hub or the front diff.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Re: Front end noise above 50

No, not driving down the road, it seems like it was just that one instance that it wouldn't disengage, but it did sort of sound like that. Kind of like gears in the front end or something to that affect. Man, it's hard to describe noises with words! That's why I was thinking maybe it was the actuator starting to go bad. Every since that night it seems to be OK, but I haven't had a chance to put in 4wd and see what happens. I should get a chance this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode