76' 2wd Chevy Flatbed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

76\' 2wd Chevy Flatbed

Hello all, just looking for some opinions. I am looking at buying a 76' 2wd 1/2 ton Chevy with a custom diamond plated flatbed, 1 ton dually rear axle (swapped in), w/ stock 1/2 ton suspension and aftermarket overloads that you can crank up (which i would remove), and finally a very health 350. My idea is to make this a bit of a prerunner. I would keep the 1 ton rear end since it could take some serious power, but put 33" tires on each side instead of the duallies. Other ideas would be skid plates and to shorten the bed a bit. But i dont know how to lift the front end to fit 33's under it, i believe 32" is as large as you can go in front without rubbing to much. So any ideas on lifting the front, would be nice, along with your opinions on wether this a good idea and what else i would need to make this cappable off road would be appreciated. Thanks

(would be used mainly on dirt roads of AZ, and surround 4 corners area, would not be used for rock crawling)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 05:59 PM

Re: 76\' 2wd Chevy Flatbed

well since you havea 2WD you havea lot of relatively cheap options. body lift will add clearance in the front. especially with a flat bed sicne you dont have to lift the bed. it will look decent in the normal position. with a regular bed this looks rediculous.
also suspension lift in the fron is simple. bolt on spindles and you're done. also price is MUCH cheaper than 4WD IFS lift.
you could also do the fender trimming method. bushwaxker fender flares allow you to cut out about 3" of sheet metal which will acomodate larger tires. you have a lot of options available that the folks with 4X4s and regular beds do not have
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks u4ia4 i had thought about spindles before but i can't seem to find anyone that makes them for fullsize Chevy's prior to 88'. If you know of any links or pictures of spindle lifted trucks prior to Chevy that would be of much use. I don't like the whole body lift idea, i have heard stories of them being shaved off during heavy stress. And although i won't be rock crawling and twisting up the frame a bunch i know i will be driving at high rates of speed on dirt roads and most likely jumping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 07:53 PM

well with that kind of use you're better off not using the body lift. my truck has both body and spindle lifts that add to 7 inches. i think that your easiest and probably best option of going to be the bushwacker fender flares. they look pretty damn rugged too. i was contemplating them on my truck just for the "bad-ass" factor that they posess. look into those and i think you'll be all set. you'll easily be able to clear 33" tires with them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode