Air Filter - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 03:50 PM
mfornes

Air Filter

I am wanting to purchase the K & N FIPK for my truck. They seem a little pricey for a tube and a filter. Does anyone know of an equivalent product that is just as good but a little cheaper.
I was also thinking of building one myself. Has anyone here ever done thats? If so, how. What parts would I need and where would I get them? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 04:13 PM

Re: Air Filter

make one. get the parts at home depot. i did one on my truck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 04:48 PM
mfornes

Is all I need is a hose, some clamps and filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 07:08 PM
mfornes

What is the difference in just adding a K&N filter in my stock filter box? It is already inclosed and pulls air from the fender. Is the $300 FIPK any diffirent than that?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 07:46 PM
TheZenTree

the FIPK has a more efficient intake design. basically, instead of that accordion pipe stuff, its an EXPOSED filter, behind a wall to keep engine heat away, stuck to a smooth pipe. i say if you really want a cold air intake, make it yourself, its not worth $300. but i do know that if you wheel, you dont want an exposed filter, cause it will quickly get clogged with mud and dirt.

i dont have an FIPK, but i do know that the K&N filter made a difference in performance and mileage with the stock airbox. i say stick with that. the performance was barely noticeable, but i gained 3 or 4 mpg out of it. could be the fact that my OE filter was black, but hey, it's better now! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 08:14 PM

Most of what you are buying with the FIPK kit is the C.A.R.B. sticker for 50 state legal emissions. Aside from that you can make one yourself.

There's also Air Raid, which are slightly cheaper. Either way you're working towards and open element filter and that means water=bad. Well, worse, anyway!

Drop-in filters have a benefit of being reusable, so if you don't want to keep throwing out your old one you can get the regular drop-in filter and just clean it once in a while...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 08:33 PM

You can put a filter in, get an airaid, but I do like my FIPK, except for the fact that the part that is placed on top of the engine, always loosens and falls off creating the truck to stall and shut off. Its always been this way, and i would really like to call K&N about it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 08:11 AM
ratlover

Cotton gauze filters gime the willys on a daily driver. It has been proven by many through flow studies and oil analysis that K&N will let more dirt into a motor. Some people say that they see no Silicon increase in thier oil with a K&N but most do. Now weather it is enough to hurt things or not is a big debate. But I wont run em unless it was a race car. thats just me

I do run a UNI filter in the stock swiss cheesed air box. I took the factory box and opened it up some [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] UNI flows a tad better(I notice no performance increase) and I believe it filters a hair better. Main reason i bought it is because a UNI is 50$ and will last a life time and the factory paper is close to 30 bucks. I had an amsoil and wasnt impressed with the quality. The UNI is a oiled foam that looks like a work of art.

I dont think you will pick up any real performance with an air tube. The 300$ spent elsewere would net you more gains. JMO

The main benifit from a non stock box is trying to get cooler air, try to work at that first and formost. If you are going to make your own I would caution you to be carefull. JMO I know some of the Duramax guys have had problems with the K&N system throwing codes because the MAF go pissed off because of its placement. So if you got a TBI truck then you aint got nothing to worry about but a vortec might be more picky about you moving the MAF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode