Front Posi/Locker for IFS axle?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 10:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Front Posi/Locker for IFS axle??

It has been a long time since I last posted a message here. I can see some of the old faces are still around. The kids are getting older and I'm going to get back into trail riding with my truck. I'm upgrading my rear to a 14 bolt SF with 4.10's and posi. When I do the front gear swap, I was contemplating putting in some form of posi unit but the 4x4 shop said there wasn't one available. I thought there was? Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Harmsie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 11:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Front Posi/Locker for IFS axle??

No there is not a locker for the front IFS. If there was you probably wouldnt want it cause you would ripe everything apart when you locked it in cause the ifs isnt strong enough.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 01:46 PM

I know its not always the case, but in most situations a posi unit for the front is not a necessity. Like has been mentioned before, the case is not strong enough (nor are the axles or carrier or... well you get the point). It has been my experience with my truck that the IFS differential, just by the nature of the way they are built, spin pretty evenly when power is transferred to the front. Of course when you need extra traction... such as one wheel off of the ground, that theory goes out the door. Anyway, just my two cents.

If you want to lock up an IFS front end, and want to stay with IFS [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img] Get yourself a 3/4 or 1 ton front axle with the C6P option code. You get a 9 1/2 inch ring gear then, and you can get a locker for that one.

Or... perhaps a Solid front axle swap? lol [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 04:55 PM
TheZenTree

and if you dont want to swap ANYTHING, im pretty sure eaton makes a locker for GM 1/2 ton IFS. not sure on what model it is, or how much it costs.

i say if youre gonna spend the money on a locker, screw IFS and get a solid axle. IMO.

(my dana 60 should be here in a week or two [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 12:59 AM

I know ARB has one for the front IFS in Tacomas but their IFS is weaker than out trucks. I can imagine tat it would be a bitch to steer and probaly cause more problem than fun.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 11:42 AM

i think pieces would fly left and rght off the front end with a front locker. the times i've had my truck all funny in rocks and packed dirt, the sounds up front weren't nice.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 12:31 PM

What does it tell you if Jason broke the stock cv's on his 1 ton IFS with stock tires? If you can't push the 1 ton IFS, guess how much abuse the 1/2 ton stuff will take........
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 01:18 PM
ratlover

They make an e locker for the newer 2500s and 3500's. I dont know about the 1/2 tons though, look into an e-locker. I think that might be the only option. I would only go selectable in the front of anything sfa or ifs.

It has been reported that it is a bitch to steer on pavement and wants to go funky directions and such when you do a launch under boost in 4x4 with a diesel crew cab truck 60'ing in the 1.6-1.7 range and running 12.3 at 110 in the quarter. If you are 60'ing in that range then you will need to run beefed tirods and or strap them cuz they tend to break but other than that the IFS seems to be holding......oh yeah....but IFS sucks for everything and is the weakest creation known to man [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I am in no way saying that IFS is better than a SFA. People just have this anti IFS hard on. Every system has its pluses and minuses. Yes IFS isnt the best for most wheeling but I'm getting annoyed with all the coments of if you look at it and it will break. Its about the same coment of anything bigger than 28" tires will snap a 10 bolt.

Oh....and for some actual personal experience not just hearsay. I know that on pavement with a 4x4 launch with boost I will beat a camaro off the line [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] . Nothing broke yet [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Dead hooking fawking rules [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 07:42 PM
TheZenTree

from all indications, jason is hell on a truck, so he doesn't count[img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

ratlover, wish i coulda seen the look on that camaro jock's face...

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 10:18 PM

well, coming from the crapp` experiences, IFS isn't going to be a repeat mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode