Off Roading Forums banner

Question? What truck toolbox?

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  ratlover 
#1 ·
Ok, this is a dumb post, but crime has been really really bad in my area last night and I was looking out my window last night as some people were looking inside my truck cab to see if there was anything valuable. So I've decided to get a tool box for the bed of my truck. I'm thinking Craftsman. Specifally, this one. Go Here!!
I know Craftsman is a well known brand, and I know they have a great warranty, but is it just a well known brand that is over rated? Input please?

#2 ·
Hell man you're in Texas, sneak out to near where you parked on your property with a pump action 12 guage shotgun, rack the thing and let 'em know in no uncertain terms just what the implications of stealing your junk is... Or if it's not your property perhaps a baseball bat is good if you stealthily sneak up behind them... I'm not sure how legal that would be if you weren't on your own property...

Really though virtually all truck boxes are still quite vulnerable to a prybar, etc...

I would not get aluminum if that's what you're thinking... The reason being the welds on any aluminum box I've looked at (sure there are probably high end alternatives, but nobody has them here) look like total junk... Yeah it's harder to weld on but you'd think if you're a company selling a product you'd find a way to do it well...

#3 ·
Ack, still no answer. The guys got away before the cops came, and nothing really happened. But the we've had doors stolen off of our jeep, a trailer of mine stolen, some crap outta the backyard, one suburban broken into (stereo stolen), hit and run on our hyundai sante fe, and now people looking inside my new truck. Plus last weekend the house got paintballed, and so did my new truck. Kinda sucks having the nice corner lot I guess.
Well, I'm thinking about just making a lock-bar type of thing on the top of the box to lock it down when not in use, and putting some heavy duty welds onto it. SOmething like this... (hope this goes right)

***Drawing didnt work right, so I captured it, and made it an image... see attachment below please...***

And then once the bar goes through there, put those circular locks on them (I call them buffalo locks, not sure what theyre real name is).

Wouldn't that almost make the thing theft-proof?

And I wouldn't really put the thing through hell, so It doesnt havent to be a bomb-proof setup?

Like my drawings? Haha

Attachments

#4 ·
i got mine from TSC for just inder 200. its the deep well box that goes to w/in 4" of the bed of the truck. plenty of room for my stuff. with the lift kit its kinda hard to get my tools out, but its hard for someone to steal them too.
as for locks, without supplimentary pad-locks yeah I"ll bet it could be pried open. by that time my alarm would have definately gone off. but yes, i think a tool box is a good investment

G
#5 ·
I have had my truck broken into twice and I have an alarm.
The truck toolbox has never been noticeably tampered with though. I think it is a worthy investment. Just remember that if the theif wants it bad enough, anything can get stolen.

#6 ·
truck toolboxes arent the most secure thing in the world. No matter what you do, someone will find a way to steal it if they want it bad enough...how are you going to bolt it down? if i was a thief and couldnt open it quickly i would rip the thing out...see the problem?

#7 ·
instead of takeing tims advice just walk out there calmy to your front door with maybe you shotgun or pistol rifle whatever you have handy safely leaning agaisnt the wall inside. behind. yell at them ask what therey doing or something of the sort. chances are the firearm will hopefully never come into play other than being there incase they come at your.

#8 ·
...because when i see strangers looking into my truck in my driveway i think, "hmmm i should get a toolbox"......
hell no! i think, "where's my gun?! are they still there? i'm sneaking out the side door to meet them..."

i just call the cops in to file a report AFTER i get all the facts

anyway, Weatherguard makes good toolboxes. Dad's got one on his truck. btw, i never lock my toolbox, and its never been fooled with. it's a PITA to reach up over the rails to pull the paddle handle up

#9 ·
I would have to recommend the WeatherGuard. They are pricey but I'm the type that shops around, and in my opinion they are one of the best. They clear coat the outside of the box and it shines up really well and will hold its shine long after the others begin oxidizing. Just my 2 cents.

G
#10 ·
I'd go weather guard or possibly adrian. I will have my aluminum black anodized here this week(weather guard) It is 530 or so i think. You get what you pay for IMO.

Most crafstman stuff isnt made by them. Like thier air compressors and tool boxes(the regular ones not truck) and such. I dont know if they make thier own boxes or not?

#11 ·
i use one of those smaller sized gang boxes, like they have
on construction sites,you can bolt it to the floor of your
box,and the locks are inset when there locked, virtually
imposible to break into, unless you make a hell of a lot
of noise, and they can carry alot more stuff, i think mine
is like 2x2x3 or so, you can find used ones cheaper than
the style your looking at, and there way stronger,the
downside would be they take up more space,

G
#12 ·
I would check into 1 or 2 of the Tuffy truck storage boxes. I bought 1 and had it Linex coated same as my bed. It has good latches, is a low profile, can still fit 4 ft. wide anything in the bed, and will fit under a cover if you put one on later. Advice, don't let them spray the inside of the toolbox hinges. It won't close and is a bitch to clean off.

#13 ·
Yah, I kind of like the Tuffy boxes too. The one I like sits on the inside of the bed, down the side instead of across. Tuffy stuff is pretty good, I have a console in my Suburban.
Here's a home defense plan for you. Keep a toy gun in a ziplock bag (keep your fingerprints off it). Then when somebody is messing with your stuff, shoot them with your shotgun, or .44 or whatever. Then put the toy gun next to their carcass and say they were armed and pointing the gun at you.

#14 ·
Yes, and then go to court and have to justify your actions and explain why the prosecution has evidence of you being seen firing a shot, and then placing an item near the body... It's better to not use the weapon unless absolutely necessary... That does not mean that you shouldn't be able to have it on your person and held at the ready just in case they do decide to escalate the situation...

Or really the thing to do if you want really fast response is while on the phone with the police and they say they're going to be delayed, rack the action of a gun and say "nevermind, I'll just take care of it myself I guess..." and hang up... Chances are you'll see more police than you knew could be on shift at a time ASAP... Pretty sad but probably more true than not in most regions...

#16 ·
Ha, that's dumb. If they point a gun I'd me, of course I'd fire (if I owned a gun). But I wouldnt fire at them just for being on my property and not leaving. I'd only shoot if my life depended on it.
I wanna start going quail hunting with my dad, so I guess I'm getting a gun soon.

G
#18 ·
Actually if you use the line "I fear for my life" to dispatch it is basicly like saying broken arrow. They have to take it seriously and you will have plenty of cops/ and probably other govt. people swarming your way.

Pointing a gun at someone is a sure fire way to escalate the situation and you better be able to take it to the next level becuase things can get outa controll very rapidly(or have a phsyco come after you later) A good rule for fire arm saftey and it carys over. Dont point a gun at something you have no problem with shooting. JMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.