Question? What truck toolbox? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Question? What truck toolbox?

Ok, this is a dumb post, but crime has been really really bad in my area last night and I was looking out my window last night as some people were looking inside my truck cab to see if there was anything valuable. So I've decided to get a tool box for the bed of my truck. I'm thinking Craftsman. Specifally, this one. Go Here!!
I know Craftsman is a well known brand, and I know they have a great warranty, but is it just a well known brand that is over rated? Input please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 09:17 PM

Re: Question? What truck toolbox?

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Hell man you're in Texas, sneak out to near where you parked on your property with a pump action 12 guage shotgun, rack the thing and let 'em know in no uncertain terms just what the implications of stealing your junk is... Or if it's not your property perhaps a baseball bat is good if you stealthily sneak up behind them... I'm not sure how legal that would be if you weren't on your own property...

Really though virtually all truck boxes are still quite vulnerable to a prybar, etc...

I would not get aluminum if that's what you're thinking... The reason being the welds on any aluminum box I've looked at (sure there are probably high end alternatives, but nobody has them here) look like total junk... Yeah it's harder to weld on but you'd think if you're a company selling a product you'd find a way to do it well...</font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Ack, still no answer. The guys got away before the cops came, and nothing really happened. But the we've had doors stolen off of our jeep, a trailer of mine stolen, some crap outta the backyard, one suburban broken into (stereo stolen), hit and run on our hyundai sante fe, and now people looking inside my new truck. Plus last weekend the house got paintballed, and so did my new truck. Kinda sucks having the nice corner lot I guess.
Well, I'm thinking about just making a lock-bar type of thing on the top of the box to lock it down when not in use, and putting some heavy duty welds onto it. SOmething like this... (hope this goes right)

***Drawing didnt work right, so I captured it, and made it an image... see attachment below please...***

And then once the bar goes through there, put those circular locks on them (I call them buffalo locks, not sure what theyre real name is).

Wouldn't that almost make the thing theft-proof?

And I wouldn't really put the thing through hell, so It doesnt havent to be a bomb-proof setup?

Like my drawings? Haha

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1205156-toolbox.jpg (15.8 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 10:27 PM

i got mine from TSC for just inder 200. its the deep well box that goes to w/in 4" of the bed of the truck. plenty of room for my stuff. with the lift kit its kinda hard to get my tools out, but its hard for someone to steal them too.
as for locks, without supplimentary pad-locks yeah I"ll bet it could be pried open. by that time my alarm would have definately gone off. but yes, i think a tool box is a good investment
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 11:06 PM
Nodak

I have had my truck broken into twice and I have an alarm. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] The truck toolbox has never been noticeably tampered with though. I think it is a worthy investment. Just remember that if the theif wants it bad enough, anything can get stolen.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 11:23 PM

truck toolboxes arent the most secure thing in the world. No matter what you do, someone will find a way to steal it if they want it bad enough...how are you going to bolt it down? if i was a thief and couldnt open it quickly i would rip the thing out...see the problem?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 11:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

instead of takeing tims advice just walk out there calmy to your front door with maybe you shotgun or pistol rifle whatever you have handy safely leaning agaisnt the wall inside. behind. yell at them ask what therey doing or something of the sort. chances are the firearm will hopefully never come into play other than being there incase they come at your.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 12:07 AM

...because when i see strangers looking into my truck in my driveway i think, "hmmm i should get a toolbox"...... [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] hell no! i think, "where's my gun?! are they still there? i'm sneaking out the side door to meet them..."

i just call the cops in to file a report AFTER i get all the facts [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

anyway, Weatherguard makes good toolboxes. Dad's got one on his truck. btw, i never lock my toolbox, and its never been fooled with. it's a PITA to reach up over the rails to pull the paddle handle up [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 07:57 AM

I would have to recommend the WeatherGuard. They are pricey but I'm the type that shops around, and in my opinion they are one of the best. They clear coat the outside of the box and it shines up really well and will hold its shine long after the others begin oxidizing. Just my 2 cents.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 01:38 PM
ratlover

I'd go weather guard or possibly adrian. I will have my aluminum black anodized here this week(weather guard) It is 530 or so i think. You get what you pay for IMO.

Most crafstman stuff isnt made by them. Like thier air compressors and tool boxes(the regular ones not truck) and such. I dont know if they make thier own boxes or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode