i need a lumber/utility rack for my 93 burb - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 11:51 PM
cochev

i need a lumber/utility rack for my 93 burb

i've been searchin the net and can't find anything prefabbed. i want a rack just like you would put on a pickup for hauling lumber and ladders. a beefy one. but it needs to bolt up to the roof of my burb some how. anyone know if these are made or am i looking at have to get a costom one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 11:53 PM

Re: i need a lumber/utility rack for my 93 burb

The roof really isn't that strong. THe truck ladder racks mount to the bed. Depending on how much lumber you want ot carry though, you could just get some good thule or yakima crossbars for teh factory rack and call it a day....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 11:59 PM
cochev

there are a few mid 80s burbs in town with costom racks and they just used large/wide mounting plates to distribute the weight better. really would only need say 500-700lb capacity maybe 1000 at most. any more weight that high up and you'll do a Flenstones trick around a sharp corner [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 04:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

go to a local fastenal company store. ask em about van racks. they make the racks for the top. fast trak i think its called. if ur not familiar with the store log on to www.fastenal.com and check out the store locater thingy. they got alot of neat stuff. hell i even work at one.

theo
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:37 PM
cochev

all the van racks i've seen bolt on to the drip rails. my burb doesn't have any. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 09:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2 different models. talk to ur local fastenal guy. u might have more options than u think.

theo
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 01:23 PM

Realisticly your not going to get 1000lbs on your roof, but Yakima says 100lbs per crossbar, I took off the factory rack on my 94' and added their base plates to the existing rivnuts added thier towers and crossbars, front one is just for wind deflection kind of a small pic but look at my link and you'll get the drift. For me its the ski,mtn. bike,canoe and sometime ladder rack.

suburban with rack

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode