brakets are here brackets are her - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

brakets are here brackets are her

and what did I do. I spent 900 on new hunting rifle last night. that could of coverd my steering and alot of other things I need.

still havent opend the box. realy no need to all I neew is the 4 brakets and backing plates from the kit. all the rest is pretty much gona be junk to me

also plans have changed. not going to bolt the kit in till I have the truck redy to roll on the alignment rack. everything will be tack welded in place to oru specs. then rolled on the alignment rack to see how shes lookn for castor angles, I want 2-3 degrees and Im gona get it. so it may be week proces. gettin this all done. Im also gona have the houseing bolted in as just houseing to see how its all gona go together. then maybe do some welding on the bare houseing before any gear sor axle shafts n seasl are in it.. I mysell do it right.

alos another thing Im lookn into is that 900 dollar ctm ujoint kit, In know 900 plus 200 egual d60 what I was thinkn [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

thats hnow it is and this is the axle I have Ill just have to live with it. for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 11:16 PM

Re: brakets are here brackets are her

<font face="Comic Sans MS">What sort of rifle is it? $900?? Is that just the rifle itself or does that include optics? Remember what they say, expect to pay about 2x the price of the rifle for suitable optics...

I still want a macmillan stock, adjustable comb, adjustable length of pull, nice generous free float on the barrel... I'm not sure what finish or color I'd get yet though... I had looked through their site before, but the specifics of the one I want eludes me... I still have to justify it to myself, as that's a pretty good chunk of change to throw down......</font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

win mod 70 featherweight(24" magnum taper barrel) 270wsm. alittle over 7lbs with no optics. 600 bucks.

leo vxII 3-9x40 300 after taxes. then leo rigns and bases 77 bucks I think. so Im closer to a grand with the set up.

Im not inot the rifles that are built like bricks to shoot off benches. but I am inot to rifles that shoot better than 1" at 100yds. hopn this winchester will do that. its not gona have this scope on for long. plan to tos a 3.5-10 leo vxIII on it but thats uneeded right now.

thse rifles have adjustable triggers, right now its probly set right at a pound. and has almost no trigger over travel or creep. I love good adjustable triggers.

remember this rifle mimicks my others all walnut stocks blued barrels in smaller calibers. just so happens this ones one step above my 270 700 win. and shoots a 130gr bullet as fast as my 25.06 does a 100. should be a fun varmint to elk rig, planing to load some 90 and 100gr gr hollow or balistic tip bullets and see how well they print. dont now if my twist rate going to allow those to shoot very acurate. 130gr is ideal.

dang it now you got me thinking rifles .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

suitable is in the eye of the be holder. vxII scopes have lived long and prosperus lives on my hunting rigs that get used and abused.. if its just suitiable then theres an improvemtnt to be had. and with anything a 300 dollar scope or a 1000 scope theres alwasy a better one out there. and the best is never the best. in this world theres no number one. if you know what I mean
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 12:34 AM

Guns this Guns that lets get back to this truck stuff....

Your going to change your castor by lowering/raising the spring hangers? Why not do it right and cut and rotate the knuckles? That way your pinion angle will be perfect as well as the castor. Oh, and on the rear shackle hanger, there isn't much room to move it up and down, only about 1/4" on my truck due to the way the frame is formed. And the front hangers use the body mount/bumper bolts and you have basically no room to move there either...

Don't waste your money throwing parts at the 44. Talk to Shaggy he knows all about that stuff... Once you stop breaking u-joints and stubs you start breaking ring gears... He went through a couple. Now, if you want to be cool, get the 300m dana 60 shafts and 35 spline 300m stubs from CTM along with there joints and have it all cryogenically frozen. Throw them in the 60 your going to get along with an ARB and some Poly Performance drive flanges and you will be unbreakable. I just need a few more pay checks... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I could buy new 60 right now and not be hurtn to awfull bad but then Id have no money for guns and hunting, plus all the stuff I need in the truck still. Ill do this dana 44 for now and search for a 60 maybe.

you8 have to build a truck the right way. break it then upgrade. I cant just step up to dana 60 and be bulit proof that would be skipn the upgrade then upgrade again step. you know what I mean vern.

still havent done much of anything with the truck sinc eI realized i wanted to hunt this season. looks like a winter project for sure all the front axle is getn is a few seals spicer ujoints and maybe ball joints. but they look good.

yeah I did see there isnt much room to move the brackets. and movn them only that much will amount to nothing. so either its got to be done like you said or rotate the axle tubes

or hell I need is d60 pumkin and I can build whatever i want. with alittle money or pro 60 houseing..

Ive decided to do the 4" shackle flip from oru and maybe 2" springs along with the same in the front 2-3" springs. then whatever tires I can get to fit under that much lift.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 11:15 PM

Hey, just cause you step right to a 60 doesn't mean theres no upgrading in your future... Believe me... I'm getting ready to go 35 spline stubs with either Poly Performance drive flanges or locking hubs, haven't decided yet. I saw way to many 30 spline stubs and joints and hubs breaking in Moab... And now that I wasted my drivers side hub I need a new set anyway, why not upgrade? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

cause money doesnt grow on trees, and I cant make my truck my lifes work, its gona be alitle here a touch there kinda thing, and will nickle and dime me to death like yours has you.

I think Ill wait to find the frord truck with the right dana 60 axle and buy the truck.

cant ever go back to reg axle low pinion. I now spot them on the streets and Im like yeah you suck, not realy but you know
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 12:50 AM

Well, just don't go throwing a bunch of money into the 44. You will quickly realize your not happy with it and you will never be able to sell it for what you have in it if it's got all the beef up parts...

Anyway, yeah I know what you mean, I've grown rather fond of my flat front drive shaft [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 01:35 PM

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I just found my 79 Ford 1 ton with 60's front and rear... hehe.

Guess how much I paid for the truck?

350 bones baby!

Guess what I found after the fact?

Detroits in BOTH axles!

Project Prometheus is now underway baby!! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode