I cant compete. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I cant compete.

well I decided for now I cant compete with jason, Im pulling my 14b rear axle out of a 93 burban tomorrow and gona plop some cash down on 78 8 lug ford dana 44. I decided i cant wait forever to do this swap. and Im only money behind if I spend 1200 on used axle.

the way i see it this axle is only gona run me 200. plus alittle tradeing. wich isnt bad. tomorrow the damn brackets should be here and it just so happens that we might be havn 2 week payed vacation before we leave to newmexico. so I need parts now. right freakn now. Im rolled inot town about 30 minutes ago. tryn to find a dan passenger side knuckle to order or something. probly should also order brake lines and all that junk. but I think I manage without that for a day or two. im not liftn in more 3"s right now anyways. probly grab a set of 16x8 8 lug rock crawlers tomorrow and mount my tires on em when that time comes. maybe toss 410 gears in the rear end cause thats what is the d44. hmmmmmmmmm the list goes on and on.

see you all on flip side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 10:33 AM

Re: I cant compete.

So are you just going to use stock front springs and a shackle flip in the back or what?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

well I have to see what happens. i might just use an adaleaf and ORD 1.5" block to level with the front.

but eventual plans are to get rid of the bodylift and run some 4" or even maybe 3" springs. or possible shackle in the rear. I cant decide if I want the leaf spring lower or not. Im not sure if I like the fronts hanging below the bumper like they will be but thats something I have to live with.

heck I dont have time to do anything. brackets still arent here, I dont have steering gears are all a jumble. missmatched to much. and Ive got alittle over 2 weeks to get parts and do the work. wich leave about a week or less depending on when stuff shiips or when I get it orderd. like the steering I have to have the axle under it and do some measureing then order my drag link. jeeeee good thing I dont drive it anymore. in the last 3 months I bet I havent put 100 miles on it..

ahhhhhhhhhh but man I just cant say for sure what i want to do. not sure I want 38s now with a freakn half ton axle . ill get it rolling on 35s and see how I like it. get locker in the rear and see if its real world off road capabilities have improved.

my buddy says theres no way it can out do his ford twin I beam fullsize on 37s and 9"s of lift and open diifs.

all i want is the snow and the axle may help alittle there.. who knows. its cant be anyworse than a ifs chevy front end when Im done?????????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 02:07 PM

woohoo - STUFF! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

hmmmmmmm Im bout to my 2grand limit and well Im bout maybe half way to rolling on all this junk. gona tear into the front axle somtime in the next week. its getn a complet tear down and rebuild. all seals and bearings. maybe locker of some kind.

basicaly Ive decided this is gona be a slow process and I mysewell do it right. the front axle will be geard at 4.09 and the rear at 4.10 wich is how they had them set up back in the day.

the rears getn 4.10s and disc brakes.. ohhhh knuckles are on the way. and thats about it for now.

the one thing I did right was get the high pinion axle. I still break down and cry every so often because I didnt get hp d60 .

thats where were at right now. we have to work monday so that kinda screwd up my plans I had of workn on the fron axle. probly going to be atleast another month befor its close to rolling. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] maybe by my 21st birthday dec 1st Ill have it dow [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 12:56 AM

Good luck with it man. And let me tell you from experience that all the little stuff will kill you. You think of all the big parts, axles, springs, brackets, etc then when thats all done all the bolts, drag links, pitman arms, brake lines, driveshafts, u-joints, lug nuts, wheel studs, etc adds up way to quick. It nickel and dimed me to death.

Anyway, I'm running 4" springs right now with the 3" of lift from the brackets. I wish I could pull about 1 more inch out of the lift and sit at a total of 6 but I don't see it happening, especially with stepping up to 42's. Just have to bust out the sawzall some more [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Ill have all that stuff before I think about dropn my ifs out of the truck.

Ive been thinkning about break lines steering ubolts ubolt plates the kit I oprderd from oru has plates to for the ubolts but the axle diamater is smaller on my 44. I have to strip the ford junk off the axle tubes. grrrrrr but thatl be when I tear the axle down. its going down to nothn but a houseing then back together. there other day I found a crap load of steering arms but today I cant seem to find hardly anything.

Im gona test fit everything. I might have both front and rear axles sitn on there own wheels and tires so i can roll em around the shop if I want. and also have the front springs bolted to axle. maybe rear springs to. all the steering with bolted to axle maybe draglink to if I can find one that will get by till I one made to my specs. brakes line will be test fitted and so on and so, plus nv4500 will be tossed in for good measure. NOT

I got knuckles comeing but i dont kneed them, it was basicaly a waste of money cause I could have my p side knuckle drild and tapped for a steering arm for next to nothing.

yeah it down go on and on.
heck my damn oru kits not here yet I bought it the 2nd they said it would ship the 3rd. well it shipped the 8th wont be here till the 13 monday. I had to call and get routhing number from them and they didnt know why i was already getn anxious. cause its 800 bucks of my moneys worth in brackets floatn around out. lol
I coulda bought 2 ifs lifts now. ohhhhhhh well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode