Man, how about this dude? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Man, how about this dude?

Utah Teen Uses Jack to Free Himself From Jeep

Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- An 18-year-old former wrestler whose leg became pinned under his overturned Jeep managed to reach a car jack, ratchet up the vehicle and free himself.

As college freshman Clancy Wright lay trapped last week, he said he thought of the climber whose arm had been pinned by a boulder last spring.

``I didn't want to cut my leg off like the guy who cut off his arm,'' Wright said.

Wright was driving alone Oct. 2 at a popular off-road area near Minersville, about 200 miles south of Salt Lake City, when his Jeep rolled, pinning his left leg under a corner of the windshield and part of a roll bar.

He was able to reach a jack in the vehicle.

He said he tried three times to find the right placement for it under the roll bar. Wright, who wrestled as a heavyweight last year in high school and took fifth place in his division, eventually was able to lift the Jeep.

``As the pressure released, I could feel the blood rush out of the leg,'' he told The Salt Lake Tribune in Thursday's editions.

The skin, muscle and tissue in his left calf, from the knee to the ankle, was torn from his leg bones, which were completely exposed but not broken, he said.

Wright said he wrapped the leg with his T-shirt, and a passing rider found him shortly afterward and summoned an ambulance. He underwent surgery and was sent home the next day.

``They told me to go home, lay on the couch, put your foot up and pray,'' Wright said.

Wright said he has feeling in his leg and can wiggle his toes.

``Maybe this will slow him down a little,'' his father, Chris Wright, said.

Climber Aron Ralston of Aspen, Colo., was hiking alone in southeastern Utah on April 26 when his right arm became pinned beneath an 800-pound boulder. He freed himself on the fifth day by snapping his bones and using a knife to cut through his arm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 12:08 AM

Re: Man, how about this dude?

First reaction -- Cool. Glad he made it out. Neat story.

Second reaction -- What a dumbarse for going riding alone! [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

SCREW THAT......what a dope! wear your seatbelt and keep yourself in the cage.....then it can do what its designed to do and not help pin you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 02:23 PM

thats wild.

hey fireman, i think i saw you driving yesterday. it was about noontime over on babcock around medical center. i was going the opposite way and i saw your bumper...and i was thinking....i know that bumper....then the color of the truck...anyway........was it you??? lol [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Mud in my Veins

I've seen lots of rollover videos and what you see a lot is people that run without doors have a tendency to put their leg out the door to push against the ground as they start to roll... natural instinct i guess but it could cost you a leg! if you ever ride atv's then you know what i'm talking about, but it works on them as you can usually keep yourself from going over. oh well, sounds like this guy got lucky... he coulda bled to death! [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

That was me! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

I probably would have noticed your truck too, but I was in a hurry... the docs office called at around 11:15 and said, "Do you think you could come in at 12"?.... [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I usually never go up Babcock if I go to the med center, but they are doing some construction on the other side soo.....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 12:02 PM

woo [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] i take babcock everyday from callaghan to UTSA. i'm not a big fan of the stampede on 410/I10. i'd rather some fool hit me going 45 than 65 [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode