Alternator Upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 12:43 PM
joeybcdt

Alternator Upgrade

Isn't there a OEM higher amperage alternator that is direct bolt-on, plug-in for a '94 Chevy w/ 350?

Thanks,
Joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 02:37 PM

Re: Alternator Upgrade

I would just get a mean green.... They are the best alts out there
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 02:46 PM

I think so. I think there is an 85 and a 105, actually those are both guesses. Go to AutoZone.com and type in your info and it will give you your choices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 03:07 PM

Yeah 85 and 105 are the stock replacement alt

You could go get a mean green or powermaster, both will do something near the 140 range or higher, also could check out a guy that goes by Dominik Irragi I think on http://www.fullsizechevy.com and see there, he does build custom ones that the users on that board seem to be pleased with.

Also it depends on what you are doing. DO you need higher amps for lights etc...while driving? DO the amps have to be high at idle for a stereo of some sort? What about winching ideas? That also plays a part in the choice of an altenator as you might also want to figure out what the current draw from accessories will be. Dual batteries + high output altenator might be what you are looking for.

Let these guys know, I know some (not alot) but enough to pass. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Chris
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 03:20 PM
joeybcdt

I do have a winch. My stereo has an amp. The stereo is not a problem. I was thinking along the winching lines.
Joey
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 04:03 PM

I'd do the dual yellow tops or red tops optima, with 1/0 wire in the mix and a min 140 altenator. Winching draws alot and I am guessing 2 batteries helps with the draw more than 1. Optima's or any deep cycle is what you want though from the sounds of it.

Just make sure the battery isolator is rated for the correct amps, and then use 1/0 battery wire to connect them up. That should be the fix

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 04:31 PM

I just upgraded my '95 Hoe to a CS-144 140 amp from this place

http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130...uv_upgrade.htm

and it is working great. My voltmeter is back up to 14 when first started.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 04:35 PM

Hold the phone.. There was no 85 amp option in a 1994 K truck. The options are 100, 105, and 124 amp. If you have an 85, then it does not belong in there. Post your VIN number and when I go into work tomorrow (Friday) I will let you know what you have in yours. If you have a 100, you can go to a 105. Or vice versa. The 124 has a much larger case, and is held on by bolts opposite of each other. You would need a completely different bracket to hold it on... If you need a bigger alt. go aftermarket. Its the only way to get a GOOD increase in amps.

Mike
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Why go aftermarket when you can get 140 amps from a Delco?

http://tech.oldsgmail.com/echa_140a.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 04:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd say spend $120 on a couple extra batteries. That will keep your winch spinning along fine. The stock alternator will charge em back up when you are back on the road. My truck has two plus I keep one in the back for the inverter or whatever. Most alt's dont produce much amps at idle which is what you are generally at when winching, ie the battery is doing most of the work. That mean green alt sounds great but at $300 or so, I prefer my $35 lifetime warranty stock alt. Its strange that the mean green only comes with a year warranty. -Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode