had brakes worked on, leaking but not at wheel? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

had brakes worked on, leaking but not at wheel?

Hey guys,

I had my brakes worked on Monday. I have been watching it and it isn't leaking every time I park the car, just for prolonged periods of time. Mainly at night for some reason.

I have sprayed the bejesus out of the cylinders in the backs of the drums with brake cleaner because after the brake job it was kinda hard to tell if it was wet/dry back there. Both wheel cylinders are dry. Both backing plates are dry. No signs of leaks there.

It is under my leaf spring, and it drips down my U-bolts and then down onto the pavement. It is very weird. I work for 8hrs and don't move the truck. I bet I can go out there at 5 and see no spots, yet if I go home and park on a tad uphill angled, I will awake in the morning to drippage. It is brake fluid I beleive (clear in color) and stains the ground so I know it isn't water.

Could this have pooled up somehow in a spot and just dribbles out when I park a certian way? I figured it it was leaking it would be leaking all the time, and it would make it easier to see. IF I go clean it all off, and it is definately dry, I come back and it is dripping off that 1 U-bolt.

Any ideas or where to check? I might have to take it back in tomorrow I guess and hopefully it's nothing big but I just thought I'd run it through here first.

Let me know,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 02:49 PM

Re: had brakes worked on, leaking but not at wheel?

Maybe the brake line along the axle. Bummer though, you should take it back and they should look at it for you. I repalced my wheel cylinders and it took about a week of spraying and cleaning to finally see that nothing was leaking.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: had brakes worked on, leaking but not at wheel?

I just got back from dropping it off.

My passenger side didn't leak at all. The brake line hooking into it makes a nice fluid S shape.

The Drivers side in which they did do the work, the line doesn't make the same solid S shape as the passenger side, and it is leaking only at where the line goes near the U-bolts. It is like the fluid is collecting in the U bolt bottom piece and then drips.

I have been watching it since I got it back Monday and it hasn't changed. There'd be times I would check it out after driving it and notice nothing, come back and see a puddle that ranged from the size of a quarter to the size or roundness of a soda can. I have cleaned the bejesus out of that side with brake parts cleaner and noticed that everything else looks ok except sections of that line. They are wet in sections and this makes me uneasy about it.

I told them that it didn't leak before. They are a good place here in town. They might be $5-10 more than other places here but their reputation is known as being a good shop. If the line is messed up and I need a new one no biggy since brake line's probably aren't much for such a short piece, but hopefully their customer service kicks in.

I figured that some spray from them using their cleaner or brake fluid was acceptable, and it'd just go away but the puddles just kept comming on that side. The only thing really wrong with it is it inconviences me at work, but other than that as long as it gets fixed I am happy. I can always work overtime [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode