Running rough on the highway - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 02:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Running rough on the highway

Recently I replaced my fuel pump because my 1996 GMC Z71 was hard to start in the morning. Now after my truck gets up to around 1700 rpms it starts bogging. On the freeway I have very little accelerating power, [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] it hits overdrive and at 1700 rpms it bogs and my speed very slowly climbs to about 70 mph before leveling off. When I come to a stop the truck will die. If I put it in neutral with the engine running I can rev it to redline. I replaced the fuel filter, coil, plugs and wires. Maybe the EGR valve is dirty or the dual cats are clogged. Does anyone have a picture of the EGR valve for 1996 GMC 5.7L engine. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Sierrapilot

Re: Running rough on the highway

What is the fuel pressure? If you have anew fuel pump and low pressure, then I'd suspect a defective fuel pressure regulator.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 07:03 PM

This may sound stupid, but I have had 3 different trucks, all the 1996 year do the same as you are saying. The guy would get in, start it fine, and drop it into gear and the truck would die. Or if he kept it running and got out on the road it had no power. After searching all over the truck I found that it was the + battery cable that runs to the under hood fuse box was completely corroded inside the rubber boot where the wire goes in. You couldn't see the corrosion without cutting open the rubber boot.

Anyway, just a thought as to what may be wrong, I've only seen it on the 96 model year and it's always been on 454's.

It was always like if you could get some rpm's up while in N or P the alt would send enough voltage out to keep things going, but the added current draw when dropped into gear would kill the truck or the added current of the ignition system when trying to accelerate would kill the truck.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 08:39 PM

Heres a pic of the EGR valve, not the greatest but it will get the point across.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1201150-96EGR.jpg (78.9 KB, 4 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 07:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SierraPilot, How do I measure and adjust the fuel pressure? I think the regulator is under the intake manifold. Is there a way of adjusting the pressure from the engine bay? And approximately what psi should it be putting out? Thanks for the help.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I broke down and drove to the Chevrolet Dealership to get a diagnostic run. The estimate was $200. I get a call 3 hours later saying I have low fuel pressure and it's going to cost $600 [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] to replace the fuel pump and filter. I tell them just button it up and I'll pick it up. The diagnostic cost $190, so I ask to see the readout saying that I am running lean. The [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]service manager explains, it doesn't work that way. That it flashed two codes 171 and 174. So can someone explain to me how it takes 2 and half hours to read an OBD II computer [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img] I changed the fuel pump myself and saved $400 on professional insallation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode