engin swap on my 93, 1500, V6, what should i put i - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Alaskan_Samuri

engin swap on my 93, 1500, V6, what should i put i

I just bought a 93, 4.3L V6 chevy 1500.
and i want to do an engin swap. i want a increase in power
what would be the easist engin to put in its place. thanks for any help you can give
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 12:31 PM

Re: engin swap on my 93, 1500, V6, what should i put i

Are you going to be pulling anything? The V6 has little power but great economy. Power comes with a fuel bill. 350 V8 would fit the bill. It all depends what else you have on the truck. Is it 4X. Idon't think that there were many v6 4x4's out there. Chances are that your tranny would have to be beefed up to handle the extra power and torque. Sorry I have no experience and no idea what it would cost. Good luck though
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 02:29 PM

you could swap a 350 in its place, will probably need a new computer or at least the chip...if i had to guess, most of the wiring is the same. tranny will bolt right up, the tranny is the same for V6's or V8s. accessiories should all bolt up, might need a bigger radiator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 03:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have done a V8 swap into my V6 1988 GMC. It is not a hard swap if you plan to keep the throttle body injection. I did a swap to a carbureted engine, but I did alot of research on it and found out a lot. The wiring harness should work. The accessory bracket and pulleys will work, but you will need at least the V8 shroud (any maybe fan?), but it's a good idea to get the V8 radiator too. The motor mount adapters will need to be unbolted from the frame (front coils will need to be removed to do this on 2wd) and you will have to switch to the clamshell mounts that the V8 uses. As far as the computer. I'm not sure if the V6 will work with a V8 chip, but I do know that the harnesses for the V6 and the V8 should be the same. I Also believe that all of the sensors are interchangeable. The benefit of going to a 350 throttle body injection is that you wont have to modify the emissions or fuel system to fit the V8. The fuel system uses the same connections. Also, you will not have to fool with aftermarket guages as I did. I am still without a speedo due to RF interference from the aftermarket ignition. I think in 93 they had the 700R4 in there and you might want to check model numbers. I know with the TH-400 they sometimes put a smaller set of clutches in. I dont know if the 700R4 was like that. I lucked out and mine was the same as the V8 TH-400. Also, I dont think you will need to change out springs for the weight difference, my truck sits the same as far as I can tell and my engine is entirely cast iron, no aluminum heads or anything. The fuel pump is the same model as well I believe. If you have anymore questions, ask me. If I dont know the answer, I'm great at researching stuff.

-Seth-

P.S. - I swapped for a 383 stroker and am in the process of setting up my truck for drag. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 09:37 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
am in the process of setting up my truck for drag.

[/ QUOTE ]
a truc should never wear a dress [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 03:24 AM
Alaskan_Samuri

thanks,
its a 4X4 manual, should i find an auto or stick with manual?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 12:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd say if you like the manual, keep it. It's less stuff to change out and adapt. Also, if you get an auto, you'd either have to get the column shift parts and set up all the linkage or get a floor shifter for it. And..... If you wanted to use the column shift, if your engine doesn't sit at the right level, the shift linkage could hit your headers (If you choose to use aftermatket headers, that is. I got hooker long-tubes and they get in the way of the column shift linkage). The manual is all on top so the headers shouldn't interfere. Also, expect to do some adapting to your exhaust pipes and stuff. I just ripped all of mine out and went with duals all the way out. Somthing else to consider if you want an automatic is that the transfer case and the rear of the tranny have to lign up. I'm not familiar with the manuals, but make sure it's the same length, or have a plan of adapting things around to make it fit.

That's all I can think of for now. The best advice I can give is think everything out before you dig in. Especially if it's your daily driver. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode