Spare Tire Carriers for the tahoe - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Spare Tire Carriers for the tahoe

My spare tire is located in the trunk. Won't fit underneath because of the gas tank. I am really thinking about the tire carrier that connects to the hitch... Here is a website that I am looking at for xmas. If anyone know's of different sites, please let me know.

http://www.sparetirecarrier.com/tire_carrier.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 12:06 AM

Re: Spare Tire Carriers for the tahoe

That seems like a lot for a tire carrier. Really consider how much of a pain in the ass it will be to have the tire blocking the trunk. You probably would have to tilt it down just to open the glass. Ask the bronco guys, those things are a pain. Plus, on the broncos the window rolls down in the back so it only has to be swung out to open the tailgate.

Have you considered putting it on teh roof?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

I have considered the roof, but then my truck won't fit in the parking garage here on campus. I really like this tire carrier because then there will be alot more room in the trunk as you would know because that tire just takes up so much space. I am going to look around, and see what else is out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 10:50 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

I like the idea of that carrier a lot. Too bad it doesn't swing out. The price is the only concern I'd have. Over $400 for a spare tire carrier! My spare tire/rim didn't cost that much. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

I just called the company.... The spare tire carrier weighs 50lbs, but extends 12 inches more than what I already have. I am going to measure this later and see if this will just look ridiculous or not..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 12:21 PM

Thats a ton of money for what that is. I have seen those and they look rediculous. You should have seen the lady drop the top part when she pulled the pin to get in the back. Hitch shops in my area sell those for less, they also have ones that mount on the bumper or side into the side of the hitch and swing. Maybe you can think something up and have someone build you one.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

4x4mike, is there anyway you can get me some info on these hitch shops that sell them... A swing-a-way one for cheaper is definitely something that interests me. I have heard of the hitch one, but can't find information on it. If you could help me out, that would be great. Thanks, Blake
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 05:03 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Why not just open the yellow pages and look under "truck accessories" or "trailer rental, towing, trailer hitches" and so forth and call a few and see what they might have around? </font>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 05:52 PM

If you're willing to spend that much, why not get a bad assed rear bumper to match the front?
http://www.4x4iron.com/default_files/page0050.htm

Or if that's a little much, modify you're rear bumper to accept this:
http://www.4x4iron.com/default_files/page0100.htm
All you'd have to do to make that work is cut a hole in you're bumper and make a bracket out of some 1/4" plate to accept the hinge. It would all be internal and look nice.

I think the hitch thing is just going to get in you're way. It'll probably scrape pretty bad off-road too.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Reason im not opening yellow pages is because I am a college student and don't have yellow pages to open....I would if I could.
Rebel, that rear bumper would be badass... I am going to look into that. Would my factory receiver work, or would it better to have it come with a built in receiver and then take out the factory one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode