1/2 ton....3/4 ton susp??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

1/2 ton....3/4 ton susp???

'90 chev k1500. I bought this truck and knew it needed a new rear diff. Had a spare c1500 housing laying around and spent the money to have the posi guts transfered into it...no prob except that damn 2wd axle housing is 3" narrower!!! Ya...found that out afterwards [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] Guys around here want huge $$$ for 4wd posi axles. But I've got access to a c2500 diff with 14 bolt cover and 6 bolt wheels. Do any of the heavier duty axles have the same wheel mounting surface distance as the 1500 4wd's??? Are the 2500 series diffs the same between 2 and 4wd?? I would like a heavier duty axle cause I've seen how easy it is to destry the stock gov lock. Any advise appreciated. Thanks

Anyone looking for a c1500 axle with all new bearings and posi...I just happen to know some sucka who has one [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 11:12 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Re: 1/2 ton....3/4 ton susp???

The C-2500 can be 6 or 8 lug. Check first. If it is 6 lug, it should work. The 14-bolt semi-floater (6 lug) is a good unit. You may want to measure the housing length so you know how wide it will be though. I haven't got a clue there. One last thing- Make sure the gears in the new unit are the same ratio as your front gears now, or no 4x4 for you!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 12:17 PM

Agreed, measure what you have and what you want to sling under there. There are some online references but I know of none of the top of my head. Sorry don't know much about C housings. Did you tell that shop what your plans were? If they were any good they would/should have mentioned something to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

The guy I had set the diff up mostly does stock cars and doesn't know much about trucks. I've got 3.42 gears now but want something more suitable for larger tires. I'm eventually going to do a 6" lift with 33's (but I g2 get this thing moving first [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]) What would be a good ratio for those size tires?? It's off road life would consist of some mild ventures, nothing extreme, but alot of highway. How hard is it to change the front ratio and what are the limits?? I'd be willing to just install mismatched ratios right now just so I can sell my other truck. Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

And is there a difference between the 6 lug front diffs on the 1500 and 2500??
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 09:25 PM
Nodak

I think 3.73 gears would be good.

Also, I do not believe their is a difference in the front diffs between 1500 and 2500 as long as they are 6 lug. I have a k2500 with a 14SF in the rear and 6 lug axles.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 09:47 PM

that axle probably has 3.73s or 4.10s in it. Its pretty strong and if its a 6 lugger it will bolt right up. I had 4.10s on my 90 K5 with 33's and liked it in the city, could have lived with lower rpms on the highway though. If i could do it again, i would have done 3.73s...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 01:16 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

4.10 is a little much for 33"s. That's what I'm running now, but I got the 4.10s because I plan on some 35"s after a little more lifting. For 33"s I'd also reccomend a 3.73 ratio. It's not easy making a full-size 4x4 go fast, but 3.42s made it real sluggish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode