suspension lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 12:23 PM
88Chev

suspension lift

hello, i am thinking about lifting my 88 chevy 4x4..reg cab short bed. I want to go more than 6, so i found whiplash and full throttle have a 9.5 inch lift which sounds nice to me. what i would like to know is if anyone out there has used either one of these kits? are they any good? or does anyone know of another kit that is good? i wouldnt have a problem with going bigger, but the 9.5 kit looked good and it was decently reasonable. haha i think, ive never lifted anything suspension wise so im not really sure what to do. if anyone can help me, i really appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

1988 Chevy k1500 Independent Front Suspension
Regular Cab Short Bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 01:17 PM

Re: suspension lift

Basically those are unsafe lifts. You really can't run bigger than 35's on independent front suspension, due to it not being very strong. I think the biggest kit that is recomended here is the 6.5" cepek, which is available from performancelifts.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 02:48 PM

Whiplash, Full throttle are a waste of money.... Those lifts break when they are on street and no mud.... Tells you right then and there, that they are a no go...... Do a 6.5" dick cepek and 3" body.... That would be a much better method of lifting your truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

not many here like kits bigger than 6"S, if you go to other truck forumns you may find a more diverse set of opions.

Im with the 6" croud
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 04:46 PM

Just to reinforce what i said, don't go bigger than 35's. You can clear 35's on 4" with minor trimming, and definitely on a 6 or 6.5". So why do a 6+3 or 6.5+3 with body when the suspension only will do it? Unless you are just looking for massive height.......
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 04:47 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Last I checked, a Whiplash/Full Throttle kit cost what a SFA swap does.

There's a guy down the street that has a Whiplash kit on his mid-nineties extended cab shortbox Z71. I think it has 38" rubber on it now. Even with the 35s he'd break CVs all the time. He drives it hard on the street but like a girl as soon as it hits dirt. I don't even think he takes it out in the dirt anymore since I haven't seen any mud on it since mid-summer. All I know is the thing is a dog (I have 3 car lengths on him by 40mph) for all the noise it makes, has body roll like a 5 yard dumptruck with 25,000lbs in it, and breaks like a Dana 30 in a Jeep with 44s.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 05:19 PM
88Chev

ok so then what can i do to go bigger than a 6 or 6.5? without changin out all my front crap.
what all breaks with these lifts? 6 inch suspension and 3 inch body isnt enough for me...there are already like 4 trucks in my lil town that have that and i wanna be different. i prolly sound like an idiot but i just wanna be the biggest. haha
my plan was to go with the 9.5 and a 3 inch body and run like 38s..i think i measured and they would fit just about right. another thing i was wondering about with goin with that much lift..if i decide to go ahead and do it..will i have to put laddar bars on or something to keep it from rollin so easy? as you can tell..i am young and wanna have a huge truck. thickheaded as well i know. thanks i just found this one too...at this website..maybe its different from the whiplash or full throttle

http://www.tsliftkitstore.com/produc...p&ID=22813
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 06:22 PM

That looks like the cheapest truck $hit i've ever seen.

Before someone else flames you, you're on the wrong board. These people build trucks to be functional and wheel hard. The trucks get lifted for functionality more than looks. There is NO reason to lift a truck 9 +3 except to be the biggest on the street. Like i said, i think 6+3 isn't worth it. It's your call, but if some more of the regulars were on this form they would have given you some pretty good reasons to either change your mind or find another form that supports what you want to do.

I don't want to sound mad, but thats what people around here do. Just trying to state facts.....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 11:28 PM

poserriffic!! [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] anyway, little man syndromer, if you wanna be different, do an SFA swap and not go stupidly huge with a crappy lift kit like 9.5". first off, the quality of those parts are not up to par. second, the IFS under your truck will spill its guts every month or so. you're looking at replacing balljoints, cv joints, ujoints, pitman arm and probably idler too(since you have the weak 2bolt idler arm) all the time.

anyway, if you still wanna do it, go for it. you're truck, your money, your headache. i also recommend getting a chilton's manual too so you know how to fix everything when it breaks.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 11:02 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

You can go big the right way with SFA. These guys may be a little insane, but you get the idea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode