Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   tried to get new rotors, was asked if i had Heavy (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/177826-tried-get-new-rotors-asked-if-i-had-heavy.html)

spunger 10-02-2003 11:12 AM

tried to get new rotors, was asked if i had Heavy

Hey guys I need some help.

I went to kragen to get some new rotors and the guy kept asking me if I had heavy duty chasis or not. I guess the rotors changed prices depending on what chasis you had. I can't tell anything from my vin. I know the truck is a single cab, 1991 k1500 with 6 lug wheels front & back. Back is the GM 10 bolt I believe.

I am way lost on this. I am pretty sure I have pads that should work for the front, as for the rear I dunno if they are for HD or normal chasis.

Please help me on this one. This is very irratating. I assumed heavy duty chasis was the extended cab and regular chasis was the single cab. I just need to know how to tell what chasis I have, and if there is any difference between heavy duty and regular chasis as far as brakes go.

Chris

Sparty 10-02-2003 11:28 AM

Re: tried to get new rotors, was asked if i had Heavy

call him and ask him if he is talking about the axel size. im sure yours is regular with the 10 bolt under there

4x4mike 10-02-2003 01:42 PM

Re: tried to get new rotors, was asked if i had He

I get the same thing whenever I go to AutoZone or Kragen. Go to AutoZone.com and punch in all of your stuff. Sometimes they give measurements for specific parts. When I went to AutoZone for wheel cylinders I had 3 size choices depending on truck model. When I went to Kragen they looked it up, walked in the back and threw the part on the counter. When I asked if it was the correct out of 3 they said there is only one size and that was it. Don't get irritated, it is more irritating for me to take the truck apart to take measurements, put it back together to drive to the store and come home take it apart again and realize I have the wrong part. It sounds like we have similar trucks and the correct parts for me always seem to be the HD parts. When in doubt take the rotor in and match it up.

Krayzie 10-02-2003 07:17 PM

Re: tried to get new rotors, was asked if i had He

Not sure which end you need help with but we'll do both. Ok... Front pads. There are two numbers for front pads on your year truck. If you have a 1/2 ton truck, standard cab - you need the 368 pads. If you have 1/2 ton ext. cab, then use the 369 pad kit. Those are just primary numbers, depending on who you get the pads from... The raybestos number would be PGD368 or PGD369 for their Professional grade pads.

The rotors for the front for standard cab will be Aimco number 5568 . Ext cab rotors will be Aimco 5569 .

As for rear drum size and shoe width, you have a 1/2 ton truck, then you have 10 inch rear brakes... that one is a gimme. Though auto parts stores will ask you whether you have 10" or 11 5/32" shoes, I have never seen a ten bolt with that setup... So get yourself the 593 shoes. 10" rear drums are Aimco part number 8973 .

Take those numbers to the parts store with you... if they cant figure out what the numbers mean, you need to find another parts store - fast! [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] Those pad numbers work across the spectrum of manufacturers with different prefixes and suffixes. Any good auto store can cross the Aimco number to one they stock.

Hope this is some help to you! Good luck! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mike

EDIT - Ok, just found out that it is possible that your standard cab has the heavy duty option (however very rare... look on your RPO plate for the code F44 . If its not there, then its not heavy duty. F44 is the RPO for "Chassis Equipment, Heavy Duty"

**DONOTDELETE** 10-04-2003 11:35 AM

Re: tried to get new rotors, was asked if i had Heavy

if theres a choice like that just buy both sets and take back the one that doesnt work. -Greg